REGISTRATION CLOSES 5/3/17
Please note that registration closes at 11:59pm Wednesday 5/3/17.
Race Day Registration is available at the price listed now. (Shirt must be picked up after race and size not guaranteed). Thank you.
Race Day Info
You will Check-in before race to pick up bib, shirt and more.
RACE DAY REGISTRATION (Shirt may not be guaranteed. Must wait until after you finish):
We will be offering at the following prices:
SATURDAY (With Cinco De Mayo Themed Fajita Bar BBQ & CERVEZAS)
50K - $95
35K - $85
17K - $75
SUNDAY (NO BBQ, but will have a few post race snacks available)
17K - $70
9K - $65
5K - $55
BETTER MAPS WILL BE PRINTED AND AVAILABLE AT CHECK-IN.
SATURDAY CHECK-IN OPENS AT 6:45am
SUNDAY CHECK-IN OPENS at 7:30am
Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve and Austin Creek State Recreation Area
Our event begins and ends in Armstrong Redwoods State Park among ancient 1,200+ year old redwoods, more than 300 feet high! These trails are the most beautiful coastal redwood trails found in California.
Since this event sold out last year, we will feature two days of running. The 17K will be featured on both days.
Saturday: 50K, 30K, 17K
Sunday: 17K, 9K, and 5K
4/30/2017: COURSE MODIFICATION ALERT
We had to remove the mile and a quarter out and back section of the 30K and 50K course due to poor trail conditions.
Here is the final map: Armstrong Redwoods Trail Run Revised Map
Due to the tremendous amount of rain, Armstrong Redwoods and Austin Creek State Parks have endured many slides and downed trees hundreds of years old. After speaking with the powers of the park, we have agreed on a minimal modification that will be safe and manageable. ALL WHILE REMAINING FUN!
Change #1: Going Counter Clockwise
Change #2: East Austin Creek Fire Rd "Out'n'back" is flooded. (only effects the 30K/50K courses)
Change #3: Austin Creek A/S is gone.
Change #4: 50K will run the Armstrong Grove in the morning, rather than after the 49K.
Please see the new course descriptions and links to maps below in the "Map Course and Elevations" section below.
We will also be promoting camping to bring our trail running together. However, different from our other group camping races, you will need to reserve your own site at the Bullfrog Pond Campground. First come first serve. PCTR Staff will be at campsites #22 and #23 if you want to reserve one near us. But hurry, there are only 12 left that allow 8 people and at only $35 and $8 each extra car.
Click here for the Bullfrog Pond Campground
The 50K and 30K continue along Gilliam Creek and will enjoy some technical challenges, including a few creek crossings. Yes, you might get wet feet or knees. You may see an abundance of wildlife on one of the most pristine trails you may ever experience. Fire trails bring you back to Armstrong Redwoods. The 50 km distance will enjoy another loop through the redwoods.
Partners In Trail Running
A huge thank you to our partners in trail running. We are supportive of all products that are favorites of ours. It's not only important to support products that we like, but that are also beneficial to our competitors.
- ORAL IV - Donating Hydration Activation Supplements.
- ULTIMATE DIRECTION - Donating Hydration Products for some lucky registrants.
- EGG WEIGHTS - Donating this new fitness product for some of our finishers.
- HEALTH WARRIOR - Providing Samples for our entrants.
- FUEL-100 - Providing Electro-bites samples for our entrants.
Event Check In/Bibs:
- Saturday 6:45am to 8:45am
- Sunday 7:30 am - 9:00am
Armstrong Redwoods Visitor Center, 17000 Armstrong Woods Road, Guerneville.
Parking is $8.00. The park is located 1 mile outside of Guerneville, CA.
Saturday Start Times
- 50 km 8:00 am
- 30 km 8:30 am
- 17 km 9:00 am
Sunday Start Times
- 17 km 9:00 am
- 9 km 9:15 am
- 5 km 9:30 am
- There is a 9-hour time limit for all distances on SATURDAY ONLY. 50K Runners NEED TO FINISH FIRST LOOP IN 4 HOURS. We want to help everyone finish the event. Runners should start their last loop by Noon. Runners that miss the cutoff will be given the option to continue on the 5K pink loop to get a 30K finish.
- 3-Hour tIme Limit for SUNDAY races.
Aid Stations & Drop Bags
We will provide a variety of fresh fruit, salty and sugary snacks, bananas, PB&J sandwiches, SaltStick salt tabs, gels, electrolytes sports drink, ginger ale, coke and water. Due to State of California food handling laws, we will no longer be making boiled potatoes at home. Runners in the 50 km may leave a drop bag with personal needs at the Start-Finish Area next to the ranger station. It is highly recommended to carry at least 20 oz. of water between aid stations.
Aid Station Mile Markers
- No Aid Stations
- 2.5 Mile Schoolhouse Flat A/S
- 2.5 mile - Schoolhouse Flat A/S
- 5.7 mile - Gilliam Creek A/S
- 2.5 mile Schoolhouse Flat A/S
- 5.7 mile Gilliam Creek A/S
- 10.6 mile Gilliam Creek A/S
- 15.3 mile Start-Finish (Go to Pink Loop)
- 3.5 mile Schoolhouse Flat A/S
- 6.7 mile Gilliam Creek A/S
- 11.6 mile Gilliam Creek A/S
- 16.3 mile Start-Finish
- 18.8 mile Schoolhouse Flat A/S
- 22.0 mile Gilliam Creek A/S
- 26.9 mile Gilliam Creek A/S
Map Course and Elevations
5K: Pink Loop (Strava for elevations, gpx file and see Map below for color)
- 5K Strava link: https://www.strava.com/routes/8393470
- Great little loop and starts out with a climb up East Ridge Trail before cutting over to Waterfall Trail and finally to Pool Ridge which brings you to the finish near the Ranger's Station.
9K: Yellow Loop (Strava for elevations, gpx file and see Map above for color)
- 9K Strava link: https://www.strava.com/routes/8393523
- Starting with a climb up East Ridge Trail, you will be challenged early until you visit your only aid station midway (2.5M) through your run. It's all downhill from here. Continue on Pool Ridge Trail to the road where the main park entrance and your finish line will be waiting.
17K/30K/50K are little more challenging with and will have many arrows and signage to remind them of which way to go. The most important thing for you to remember is what distance you are running and the terms "Out" and "Return". "Out" means you are running out or away from the start. "Return" means you are running in or towards the start/finish area.
If you look at last year’s map, you can get a good idea on the elevations.
17K/30K/50K (Online Map systems are limited. Strava has some bugs in Armstrong Redwoods using heat maps)
For the course map click here
For the OLD ELEVATIONS TO USE AS A REFERENCE, please click on distances below. It's all we inherited with the purchase of the company:
Shirts & Awards
Sport-Tek shirt will be included with registration unless a no shirt option is requested. You need to register by April 26th to be guaranteed your shirt size. If you register after April 26th, you can choose no shirt or take your chance. You will need to wait until after the event to get your shirt. Thank you for understanding. We will do everything in our power to make you a shirt shall you not get the size your desired.
Sport-Tek: This Armstrong Redwoods Austin Creek Trail Run competitor Sport-Tek running shirt is a maximum comfort tee which has a roomy, athletic cut and controls sweat in both a men and women's fit.
- All finishers will receive a finishers medal by Eric at Elevation Culture.
- Placement Awards will be given to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd female and male finishers for each distance.
- Age group 2017 medals are awarded to the female and male 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finisher in each ten-year age group. The 50 km finishers will get a custom coaster time with the race date and logo.