Lawrence Trail Hawks 8th annual Skyline Shuffle 5k
This course features a winding path to the crest of bunker hill and a beautiful morning view of a spring sunrise over Clinton lake. A jaunt through the woods includes a chance to get your feet wet. After emerging from the trees you once again summit Bunker Hill, keeping your eyes open for Sky Clintie. After bounding down Bunker hill with the finish line in sight, your journey is complete and the celebration may begin. Snacks at the finish, awards for first three male and female finishers, and swag for all entrants. Hope to see you there!
New-Time Prediction Award Added!
Not in the running for a first place finish? Not a problem! As we did last year, we will be giving out a “Time Prediction” award. This is an optional completion to see not who can run the fastest, but who has the most precision pacing prowess. Guess your time for the race and let me know by May 5th. Whomever runs closest to their predicted time wins! Interested? Here’s the details:
1) Anyone registered online for the Skyline Shuffle, or anyone who registers at packet pickup, may choose to go for the prediction award. There’s no extra cost, and nothing special you need to do during registration.
2) Email me (or tell me at packet pickup) your prediction for what time you will run the Skyline Shuffle in. I need to have the times in by May 6th-race day is too chaotic to be collecting predictions!
3) (Here’s the important one)-if you are going for the prediction run, you cannot run with a watch or electronic device capable of keeping track of time! After all, it’s not much of a feat of precision pacing prowess if your Garmin is keeping track for you. (Remember-the time prediction is optional-if you want to run the race with your phone/mp3 player/GPS/microwave, we’d love to have you, and you’re still eligible for the top three fastest men/women awards).
4) We’ll have the timer set up in a way so runners can see it as they cross the finish, but not sooner. (Hopefully. I need to think about how that’ll work.)
5) Whoever guesses closest to their actual time wins the prediction award. If two runners tie (e.g., two people each manage to be, say, three seconds off their predictions), the award will go to whoever was closest on a percentage basis (that is, the slower runner), though if that happens I’ll make a second award and get it to the other runner as soon as possible :).
The Legend of Sky-Clintie by: Gary Henry
Just in case you never heard the legend of Sky-Clintie, the official mascot of the Skyline Shuffle 5K Trail Race:
Local time: 10:22 AM
Back in the old Paleozoic days, when all of Kansas was a shallow inland sea, the skies above what is now Clinton Lake were filled with pterodactyls. It is said that a mutant descendant of these creatures still nests within Bunker Hill, emerging to hunt sometimes, from a secret exit in the ruins of the old school house. They call her "Sky-Clintie."