THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED
Rhododendron Run 25k
Breaks Interstate Park, known as the “Grand Canyon of the South”, is home of the deepest gorge east of the Mississippi River. The park’s main feature, Breaks Canyon, is five miles long and ranges from 830 to 1650 feet deep. American frontiersman Daniel Boone was the first person of European descent to discover the Breaks, which he first saw in 1767. The Breaks offers breathtaking views and is home to many species of wildlife such as deer, golden eagles and black bear. The trails vary from smooth to extremely rocky, steep and uneven, some with many switchbacks. Fascinating rock formations are plentiful as are panoramic views of the canyon along cliff edges. The beauty of the Catawba and Rose Bay rhododendron in lavender bloom during the months of May and June are nature’s perfect reward for visiting the park in the spring of the year. The race will start at 8:00 a.m.
Echoes in the Canyon
The annual Echoes in the Canyon Civil War Reenactment will take place the same weekend as the Rhododendron Run at Breaks Interstate Park! Events planned throughout the weekend will give visitors and race participants a glimpse into what life was like for soldiers as well as civilians during that time. Most of the events will be held around the Visitor Center area. Some of the items on the schedule for the weekend will include the following:
- Living history in the camp -- visit with soldiers from the Union and from the Confederacy, and see live demonstrations.
- Learn about herbs and medicines of the time period.
- Meet the Presidents' wives at the Visitor Center.
- Learn about the importance of salt during the war.
- Learn about the advantages and disadvantages for the North and the South.
- Listen to soldiers' thoughts, strategies and fears before going into battle.
- Attend a period church service at the park amphitheater.
- On Saturday and Sunday at 2:00 p.m. watch a live battle between the North and the South.
For more information, contact Breaks Park Naturalist Carl Mullins at (276)-865-4413
Local time: 8:54 AM