Skyline to the Sea
This is the original Skyline to the Sea Trail Run. The trail begins at Saratoga Gap, near Castle Rock State Park and descends from the Santa Cruz Mountains to the deep blue Pacific Ocean. Along the way you will encounter amazing views of the Monterey Bay, coastal and redwood forests, lush ferns, chaparral, exquisite sandstone formations, crystal clear waterfalls and the beauty of California wildflowers. This gorgeous venue is not to be missed.
Again, we will be featuring both SATURDAY and SUNDAY. We will feature the 50K on Saturday and the Marathon on Sunday. Due to the nature the 50K and Marathon selling out every year with wait lists over 100 each, we have decided to give each event its own day. This also means that we have decided to move the Half Marathon to another weekend yet to be determined in 2018.
SATURDAY, October 6, 2018 - 50K
SUNDAY, October 7, 2018 - MARATHON
Bus Ride to START LINE
- The buses will LEAVE at 7:00 AM from Hwy 1 near Finish to Saratoga Gap (Start)
- Runners should either be dropped off at Saratoga Gap or take the bus ride from Hwy 1.
- Runners' warm clothing will be transported to the finish area (Need to put your bib number on a proper bag).
- Please note that parking at the start location or Saratoga Gap Parking Lot is is prohibited.
- Bib Pick-up is in Saratoga Gap Parking Lot where HWY 9 meets HWY 35 (Skyline Blvd)
- 1/10 of a mile west of Saratoga Gap, on Hwy 9 (CA-35)
- NO PARKING HERE. Drop Off Runners only.
Event Check-In / Bib Pick Up Only
- 7:30 AM to 8:45 AM at Saratoga Gap Parking Lot (HWY 35 / HWY 9)
- Shuttles will arrive around 8:15 AM
- Bathrooms available at the start.
- Start line is across the street at beginning of Skyline to the Sea Trail.
Race Start Times
- 9:00 AM 50K
- 9:00 AM Marathon
50K Time Limit
- There is a 9-hour time limit for the 50K.
- There is a 50K CUT-OFF at 1pm to reach the Gazos Creek aid station for 50K runners.
- We want to help everyone finish the event, therefore 50k runners missing the cut-off will be directed to bypass the Orange loop, and to finish the marathon distance. You will be credited with a finish.
Marathon Time Limit
- There is an 8-hour time limit for the Marathon.
- There is a Marathon CUT-OFF at 1pm to reach the Gazos Creek aid station for marathon runners. If you do not reach the cut-off point in time you will have need to get a ride to your car. We will do our best to get you to the finish line, but you also need to be prepared with crew (friends and family) to help you if needed.
Course Map Elevations & Descriptions
Click here for the course map, elevation charts, mileage, and aid station sheet
- 50K/Marathon Course Map link here
- 50K/Marathon Descriptions link here
Crew Driving Directions
Map and driving direction link here
Driving Directions to Big Basin Redwoods State Park
- Big Basin is the most accessible point to crew your runner along the course. - The park is 25 miles northwest of Santa Cruz via Highways 9 and 236 and about 65 miles south of San Francisco.
- All roads into Big Basin are curvy.
- From Hwy 9 in the town of Boulder Creek, turn north onto Hwy 236 and Park Headquarters is 9 miles down the highway.
Driving Directions to Rancho Del Oso
- The Rancho Del Oso coastal unit of Big Basin is accessible via Highway 1, about 20 miles north of the city of Santa Cruz.
- Also known as Waddell Beach, we kindly ask you take the PCTR shuttle from the designated parking area about 1.5 miles from the Ranch Del Oso entrance. The 10-passenger shuttle will go back and forth every 10 minutes.
Aid Stations, Drop Bags, & Pacers
We will provide a variety of fresh fruit, salty & sugary snacks, PB&J sandwiches. We also provide a limited supply of GU Gels/Chews/Sodium Capsules/Stroopwafels. We feature GU electrolyte drink (varied flavors from grape to lemon lime), coke, ginger ale, and water. It is highly recommended that runners carry at least 20 oz. of water between aid stations.
50K: See Above links
Marathon: See Above Links
All entrants can leave a bag at the finish line. For those on the Shuttle, you can take your bag with you so that you can take off any clothing that you needed for your ride to your respective start line. PLEASE PUT YOUR BIB NUMBER ON THEM and we will transport them back to the finish line so that it's there when you arrive. Please keep bags to the size of one large shoe box.
Pacers are not permitted in this event.
Sport-Tek or cotton blend shirt will be included with the registration unless a no shirt option is requested.
Sport-Tek: This maximum comfort tee has a roomy, athletic cut and controls sweat. The lightweight soft crew shirt is short sleeve and comes in both men and women's fit. The cotton blend shirt is high quality that tends to be more fitted and some may choose to size-up when registering.
Those signing up on or before September 23rd will receive the shirt they requested.
All others that sign up on September 29th or later will get choice from last years or no shirt at all based upon first come first serve at finishline. Those not able to get a shirt will have the option to pay for shipping of a shirt after the race is over and production closed.
Placement Awards in the form of PCTR Race Credits are given to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place female and male finishers overall in each distance.
Local time: 1:52 AM
1st Place - $75 PCTR Race Credits
2nd Place - $50 PCTR Race Credits
3rd Place - $25 PCTR Race Credits
Age group 2018 medallions are awarded to the female and male 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers in each ten-year age group for each distance.
Ultra marathon (50 km) finishers will receive a custom event coaster.
All distance runner finishers will receive a Skyline to the Sea race logo finisher medal by Elevation Culture.