Birmingham Ultra Trail Society (BUTS) and Turkey Creek Nature Preserve are teaming up to host the Darter Dash 5k and 10k on October 9, 2021. As in pre-covid times, the optional "splash" tubing down the waterfall is back! It's the perfect way to cool off after a hot run! We'll also provide a pancake breakfast complete with mimosas to celebrate your morning run.
This race is an enjoyable run through the trails at one of Birmingham's great outdoor treasures. These trails include some moderate elevation and you'll run along some delightful stretches beside Turkey Creek. Note that a short portion of both races will be on pavement. The Preserve protects a stretch of the creek that is the only place in the world where the Vermilion Darter, as well as other Darter species, live. It is truly a unique and beautiful place. All proceeds go to fund educational programs at Turkey Creek Nature Preserve.
Race Day Details
Packet Pickup: You can pick up your bib and your race swag on the morning of October 9, starting at 7am. THERE IS NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION THIS YEAR. Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your start time (8am for the 10k and 8:30am for the 5k).
Hydration and Fuel: We will provide water and typical aid station goodies at the finish line, in addition to best post-race breakfast in the region: pancakes + mimosas!
Post-Race Activities: Stick around after the race to mingle with friends, have a mimosa, eat some pancakes, slide down the waterfall, and celebrate the top male, female, master and youth winners in a brief award ceremony.
While we wish we weren't dealing with COVID again for this race, we're going to make the best of it with your help! Here are some steps we can all take to keep each other as safe as possible.
Local time: 4:14 AM
- All race volunteers will wear facemasks when within 6 feet of another person.
- If you are not vaccinated, we encourage you to mask up when within 6 feet of another person (except during the race).
- If you are feeling sick on the morning of the race, please stay home and get better. We will gladly mail your race swag to you.
- Be smart when sharing food and/or hydration with others.
- Respect your fellow racers and all volunteers. We're all in this together.