50M, 50K, 14 Miler, 10K Trail Race
Hyner Trail Challenge (PA)
Apr 20, 2024
50K, 25K
Login Now to participate in the forum!

1. Ernesto
    Ernesto Matal Sol  - September 14, 12:14 PM
    Thank you Peter
    I hope to see all "the speedy Gonzalez" in the race to make me look like a turtle. :)

Ernesto
  2. Ernesto
    Ernesto Matal Sol  - September 13, 1:49 PM
    I have registered to be part of the race for the following reasons:

First, to support a noble cause, Audubon society.
    Second, volunteers and organizers in the race are the coolest.
    Third, Steve Patt's birthday used to be celebrated in this race. He has been a pivotal figure in the tradition of this race.
    Fourth, no matter the size of our ego, the scorching sun reminds me the fragile we all are.
    Fifth, I do not have money, but I have a big heart.

See you there, and thank to the organizers of this race.
    1. Peter Hargreaves  - September 14, 6:19 AM
      Hi Ernesto, that is great to hear you have signed up. We also acknowledge all the volunteer work and support you have given this race over the years. It is people like you that make it a fine race. Peter
    2. Ernesto Matal Sol  - September 14, 12:09 PM
      Thank you Peter.
      I hope to see all "the speedy Gonzalez" in the race to make me look like a turtle. :)

Ernesto
    3. Ernesto Matal Sol  - September 14, 12:10 PM
      Thank you Peter

Ernesto
  3. Kendra
    Kendra Hershey  - June 2, 4:29 PM
    This used to be my favorite 50K anywhere for 3 reasons:
    1. Entry fee of $20-$25, less than half the price of most races, including beautiful and practical trophies. The optional extra contribution was tax-deductible.
    2. 9 am start time - better than most local races, allowing almost a full night's sleep.
    3. Very beautiful course fairly close to home.

It looks like 2 of these reasons are gone, and the race has fallen to merely average, instead of being the best. I might sign up anyway, for nostalgic reasons.
    1. Peter Hargreaves  - June 14, 7:28 AM
      Hi Kendra, This is Peter Hargreaves, race director for the Striders. We thank you for your comments. Regarding the start time we understand the attractions of a later than usual start when the race was in March some years to celebrate Steve's birthday. However in other years it moved to the fall and so the later stages of the race can be pretty hot especially for the slower runners. And with many of the entrants being local we think 8am is a good time. Not like the recent QS100k 3 and 4am start!

Our aim is to match to last year the contributions to the Audubon society. So if we get 150 entrants some $12 per head will be contributed Once we know the amount we will publish the amount that can be deducted against tax.

Hope to see you on the beautiful course!
    2. Kendra Hershey  - June 16, 7:16 PM
      Indeed, the 5am start time at the Miwok 100K meant no sleep at all. But they had permit restrictions to finish before dark - not an issue with a 50K. Most runners will be running in the midday heat no matter what the start time is.
    3. Kendra Hershey  - August 27, 4:36 PM
      Does it follow that 75 entrants would result in a $24 tax deduction?
    4. Peter Hargreaves  - August 28, 6:51 AM
      Hi Kendra, Thanks for the follow up question. Some of our costs are fixed such as an MROSD ranger for the day, the restrooms, the USATF insurance and sanction. So with less entrants our total income after those fixed costs is correspondingly less. But we still want to give a good donation to the Audubon society in recognition of Steve's past races. In the meantime we hope to fill up the races over the next few weeks. Many thanks, Peter
    5. Ernesto Matal Sol  - September 13, 1:48 PM
      I have registered to be part of the race for the following reasons:

First, to support a noble cause, Audubon society.
      Second, volunteers and organizers in the race are the coolest.
      Third, Steve Patt's birthday used to be celebrated in this race. He has been a pivotal figure in the tradition of this race.
      Fourth, no matter the size of our ego, the scorching sun reminds me the fragile we all are.
      Fifth, I do not have money, but I have a big heart.

See you there, and thank to the organizers of this race.