participate in the 6th annual White Salmon Backyard Half!
This year we will also include an early start at 8:30 am for hikers. Runners will start at 10:00 am.
Once again, it is FREE to enter! Or, if you can spare a little change, a suggested donation of $12, or less* or more, which will go to the White Salmon Columbia High School Cross Country Team, who will be staffing the aid stations, and the Columbia Gorge Running Club student scholarship fund!
can sign up without donating. If you change your mind, you can donate
at the run.
* If you want to donate less than $12, you can make a donation day of the race.
Last year we had 309 runners participate! Hopefully this year we will get more people to participate and donate to the cross country team!
- Registration and the Start/Finish will be around the corner from Everybody's Brewing at Rheingarten Park at N. Main Ave and NW Lincoln St.
- 7:00 am check-in and day of registration opens.
- 9:50 am is the pre run meeting at the start, which will be on NW Lincoln St.
- There will also be an early start for hikers at 8:30 am.
- The course will be marked with flour and orange surveyors tape.
- The trail portion of the course is about 11.5 miles and is a big loop.
- The road portion of the course is one mile, each way, out and back to get you to and from the trail. The road portion starts at the corner of NW Lincoln St and N Main Ave. Head East on NE Lincoln St then South on NE Church Ave then East on NE Tohomish St then North on NE Park Ave down past the gun range. You will be returning from the trail about midway up NE Park Ave at the gun range. Here is a link to the road portion on Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/g4FO
- No dogs are allowed. The property owners are trying to gather up all the cattle, but there may be some stragglers out there, so no dogs until after July 1st.
- There will be 3 aid stations with an additional "light" aid station at the start of the steep climb.
- The first full aid station is about 40 minutes to over an hour from the start depending on how quick you are. For most of us the first aid station will be a little over an hour away. so make sure to bring a water bottle. Especially if it is hot!
Entertainment and Food
- The pool will be open so you can take a shower after the run and/or go for a swim.
- 12 PM - 3 PM: $3 slices of pizza and $1 sodas from Beneventi's.
- 12 PM - 3 PM: Live music by ONEHUM. Their style is unique - a mixture of Appalachian mountain sounds, quiet spirituality, and the humor of an ex pro kayaker, horse wrangler, and world traveler.
- 11 AM - 2 PM: Activities for the kids by KIDS IN MOTION - It is a free event promoting fun ways to play and move in our community. Activities will have bilingual "instructors" and will include a bike rodeo, pick-up soccer games, basketball shoot-around, Field Day activities (sack race, egg carrying, three legged race, etc.), hula-hooping, and more.