Welcome to the "MdO Trail Run". Montana de Oro State Park is located just outside of San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay in Los Osos California. The "Mountain of Gold" is a coastal treasure. It offers a mix of rugged, rocky cliffs, coastal plains, sandy beaches and streams. The start-finish line for all distances will be at Spooner's Cove Beach.
This year, we bring you a brand new course named "Three Peaks" after Hazard Peak, Valencia Peak, and Oat's Peak. You'll be running on trails as old as the Chumush people as you explore one, two, or three peaks nestled in the flora with epic views of the Pacific Ocean, nearby beaches, and Morro Bay.
- 13K: $50 $60 (Jan 1 2018)
- Half Marathon: $60, $70 (Jan 1, 2018)
- 36K: $70, $80 (Jan 1, 2018)
- 50K: $85, $95 (Jan 1, 2018)
- Add $15 for Race Day Registration if not sold out.
All finishers will receive a Finishers Medal.
All entrants will be guaranteed a shirt size they ordered if registered by March 4, 2018.
We want to personally thank Thomas Reiss and the SLO Trail Runners club for all your support. The new course "Three Peaks" is a design courtesy of Thomas Reiss and Jadd Martinez. As the new owners of PCTR, it's important that we listen to our runners and make bold changes to impact the quality of your experience. In this case, we heard the old course was boring, so here we go... enjoy!
Partners In Trail Running
A huge thank you to our partners in trail running. We are supportive of all products that are favorites of ours. It's not only important to support products that we like, but that are also beneficial to our competitors.
- ORAL IV - Donating Hydration Activation Supplements.
- ULTIMATE DIRECTION - Donating Hydration Products for some lucky registrants.
- FUEL-100 - Providing Electro-bites samples for our entrants.
- RUNNING WAREHOUSE
Directions to Start/Finish & Parking
Pecho Valley Rd.
Los Osos, CA 93402
More Montana de Oro State Park info here
Parking is free in the area. Please follow street signs and park legally.
Crew Driving Directions & Instrucitons
Crews can only aid at Spooner's Cove and Bluff Trail Aid Stations. The third on the Hazard Peak loop cannot be accessed by crews. Shall you fail to abide by this rule, your runner may be disqualified.
Spooner's Cove A/S is at the Start-Finish Line.
Bluff Trail A/S is further south on Pecho Valley Road where it dead-ends in to the final parking lot.
Start Times & Runner Check-in
- 50K - 7:30 AM
- 36K - 7:50 AM
- Half - 8:10 AM
- 13K - 8:30 AM
Cut-off & Time Limit
- 50K must finish the first two loops in 5 hour and 45 minutes or (15:30/mile pace). This will leave you with a 16:50 pace to complete the final 13K.
- 50K time limit is 8 hours.
- 36K and all other distances must finish in 7 hours.
STAY TUNED FOR Friday Bib/Shirt Pick-up at Running Wherehouse the day before the event. Time TBD.
Runner Race Day Check-in & Bib Pick-up
- One hour before the start of your event.
Race Director Event Briefing
- 15 Minutes before the start of your event.
New Course Maps with Elevations below. We are using RunGoAPP for the short term and will have color coded maps before the event.
- Mini Bluff Out and Back (1.4M): https://routes.rungoapp.com/route/OmgSTRqPt4
- Valencia Peak (13K): https://routes.rungoapp.com/route/McJortkW15
- Hazard Peak (18K): https://routes.rungoapp.com/route/KpKdMCfKaw
- Oats Peak (18K): https://routes.rungoapp.com/route/6cmXw2VvoY
Course Distances, Elevation Gain, & Loop Details
- 13K (1,835 ft): Valencia Peak Course
- Half Marathon (2,237 ft): Mini Bluff Out and Back + Hazard Peak
- 36K (4,318 ft): Oats Peak + Hazard Peak
- 50K (6,213 ft): Oats Peak + Hazard Peak + Valencia Peak
New Course Maps (copies available at event)
- Half Marathon
Aid Stations & Drop Bags
There will be four aid Stations on course: three on the course and one will be at Spooner's Cove start-finish line and the other at Bluff Trail Head at Pecho Valley Rd dead-end parking lot. See course maps for more details.
We will provide a bananas, tangerines, salted potato chips PB&J sandwiches, Salt Stick salt tabs, sugary and salty snacks, Limited supply of gels, electrolyte sports drink, cola, ginger ale and water.
Please note that we do not supply homemade boiled potatoes in order to comply with the California Health Code. We will also not serve canned potatoes. You will also find that we will have snack bags instead of community bowls (except for potato chips) of snacks that your "ultra clean trail running" hands will dig it to. :-) Health and safety is expanding into food handling at trail running events. If you need potatoes, then please put in drop bags.
Are allowed at the start/finish line. We do recommend putting your favorite foods and other gear there for your own personal pleasure. Additionally, it is highly recommended that runners carry at least 20 oz. of water between aid station.
Shirts & Awards
Local time: 12:46 PM
All participants that register by March 4, 2018 will be guaranteed their requested shirt size. Since we always get late signups, we have to guess on what sizes to order. We will order more, but sometimes one or two people won’t get the size they wanted. Those registering after March 4th may get the size they requested. Good news is that we have last year’s shirts (no date on them) as back up to find your fit. All race day registrants have a 50/50 shot at receiving a shirt. We will order extra shirts based upon previous race data and relative entries.
To help you with your decision making process, we can tell you the "Tech-Material" (not cotton) shirts are made by Sport-Tek and generally run true to size. More "roomy" than "fitted".
All finishers will receive a handmade wood medal from Elevation Culture.
50K Finishers will receive a commemorative "Ultra Marathon" coaster from the event.
Top 3 Winners
Top 3 Male & Female Overall Winners in each distance will win dollar value race credit for future Pacific Coast Trail Runs events.
- 1st Place - $75 race credit towards future 2018 PCTR Race
- 2nd Place - $50 race credit towards future 2018 PCTR Race
- 3rd Place - $25 race credit towards future 2018 PCTR Race
Age Group Awards
Each age group winner will receive a special 2018 Age Group Medal because these are what we ordered for the original date. Age Group Award Winners include Top 3 Male & Female in each of the following age group categories: