The second annual UltraPedestrian Wilderness Challenge is a multi-faceted multi-media adventure blogging contest open to Trailrunners, Fastpackers, and Backpackers. This year we are offering three unique routes. Entrants may attempt any or all of these. There are no aid stations, no course markings, no start/finish, no lemming lines, no cut offs, no set date, in fact, it's all up to you.
Route #1, chosen by Heather 'Anish' Anderson, is the Olympic Coast Route. This route runs point to point between the Shi Shi Beach Trailhead in the north, and the Oil City Trailhead in the south. The Olympic Coast Route will test your logistical skills, as it involves timing tides, difficult creek and river fords, and nine miles of road to access the bridge across the unfordable Quillayute River. The Olympic Coast Route may be completed North to South, South to North, or as an out-and-back for the Epic Double.
Route #2, chosen by Kathy Vaughan, is a figure eight route connecting the Mother Mountain Loop and the Northern Loop in Mount Rainier National Park. This is a brutally tough and jaw-droppingly beautiful sampling of the trails in the park, with only a few miles overlapping the Wonderland Trail. Kathy will be largely out of touch until early May. The Mother Mountain/Northern Loop Route may be begun at any point on the route and traveled in either direction, so long as it is done as a figure eight ending at the same point at which it began.
Route #3, chosen by Eric Sach, is the Alpine Lakes Route. The specifics of this route are still being finalized. As soon as they are, official information will be posted here and in the UPWC Facebook Group. Those souls brave enough to sign up for this route before the specifics are posted, will be e-mailed that information as soon as it is available.
All participants must at all times comport themselves in accordance with Federal, State, and Local laws, as well as Leave No Trace backcountry ethics.
How to participate in the 2014 UPWC:
1. Sign up on Ultrasignup.com before Monday, December 1st, 2014.
2. Between the dates of Tuesday, April 8, 2014 and Sunday, November 30, 2014 complete any or all of the routes: the Olympic Coast Route, The Mother Mountain/Northern Loop Route, and/or the Alpine Lakes Route.
3. Email your proof and documentation to UltraPedestrian@gmail.com with the subject line, "2014 UPWC PROOF & DOCUMENTATION" no later than Friday, December 5, 2014.
4. Visit UltraPedestrian.com and Ultrasignup.com on Sunday, December 15, 2014 for complete results & awards.
5. Watch your mailbox for your UPWC swag envelope.
Complete results will be posted on UltraPedestrian.com on Sunday, December 15, 2014. Prizes and swag will be mailed out soon thereafter.
Please visit our website for complete details.
Local time: 3:50 PM