Primal Quest Team Ultras
Team Events brought to you by:
These activities on the Little Missouri National Grassland are authorized by the US Forest Service through a Special Use Permit and Operating Plan.
Welcome to The Badlands Trail Run Featuring Primal Quest Team Ultras! Primal Quest Team Ultras are operated in conjunction with Eagle Endurance, LLC. The Badlands is an established Eagle Endurance, LLC event. Join us!
The Badlands Trail Run, Starting time of 0730 (Local Time), August 13, 2016, Wannagan Campground, Medora, North Dakota
August 13, 2016 at the Wannagan Campground, Wannagan Creek Road, Medora, ND 58601 from 0630-0700.
Google Maps link:
This is the 3rd Annual Badlands Trail Run which is held in The Badlands of North Dakota along the Maah Daah Hey Trail. This event starts and finishes at the Wannagan Campground 22 miles from the town of Medora, North Dakota.
Primal Quest Team Ultras offer a 2 Person Team Category (male/female/co-ed) in distances of 50k or 50 miles. Whether running as a team or solo, we offer a challenging course, through a very unique environment. Those that register under the Team Category are eligible for exclusive Primal Quest awards in addition to Eagle Endurance, LLC finisher awards.
This event is open to runners and walkers. Due to the remoteness of the event, participants are required to carry a hydration pack or handheld water bottle while out on the course as well as supplemental nutrition.
There is a 12 hour time limit for this event. If you are still running within an hour of sunset, you must have a headlamp with you to continue. SUNSET IS AT 8:07PM. Additionally, you MUST be at the last remaining aid station on your return by 6:30PM to continue. This aid station is 3.3 miles from the finish.
Eagle Endurance, LLC will provide you with aid stations along the way. Two aid stations are out on the course 3.3 and at mile 7.97. Each Aid Station will have electrolyte replacement tablets/drink mix, water and typical ultra event food. Please feel free to bring whatever you would like to supplement food items. Since this course is an “out and back” you will hit the same aid stations throughout the course of the day. Drop bags are allowed and will be transported to any aid station along the route. Additionally, you will be able to park very close to the start/finish area so you can access your vehicle.
How Distances are completed for The Primal Quest Team Ultras:
The event consists of “out and backs” that will be completed on a 7.97 mile section of the Maah Daah Hey Trail for safety considerations. Below is how you can anticipate completing the 50k and 50 mile distances: Both events will start and finish at Wannagan Campground. 50k runners, you run from Wannagan Campground to the Aid Station at Road 725 (utilizing the Aid Station at Road 728, continuing up the trail) and back two (2) times giving you a total of 31.8 miles. 50 Mile runners: You run to the Aid Station at Road 725 (utilizing the Aid Station at Road 728, continuing up the trail) and back three (3) times and finish the event with a short 1.09 mile leg up the trail and back giving you a total of 50 miles.
How Distances are completed for SOLO Participants:
You run from Wannagan Campground to the Aid Station at Road 728 and back. This will give you a distance of 6.6 miles.
13.1 Mile Participants:
You run to the Aid Station at Road 728 two (2) times completing 13.2 miles.
16 Mile Participants:
You run to the Aid Station at Road 725 (utilizing the Aid Station at Road 728 and continuing up the trail) and back giving you a total of 15.9 miles.
26.2 Mile Participants:
You run to the Aid Station at Road 725 and back one (1) time giving you 15.9 miles. The next out and back will be to the Aid Station on Road 728 and back giving them a total of 22.5 miles. The last “out and back” that they will do will be a short 2 mile run from Wannagan Campground up the trail and back finishing their marathon with a distance of 26.5 miles.
50k and 50 Mile Participants:
Please see “How Distances are completed for The Primal Quest Team Ultras”
The event shirt will be mailed to you prior to the event…Please ensure that your registration address is the one you want your shirt mailed to. You must be registered by July 1, 2016 to be guaranteed a shirt. No shirts will be ordered after this date.
Weather and Terrain
Weather and Terrain:
Medora, North Dakota, the month of August is characterized by daytime temperatures around 84°F (27°C), with typical overnight lows around 59°F (8°C).
Participants will encounter a large variety of terrain over the trail. The Maah Daah Hey Trail includes hard packed clay, soft clay, rocky ground and slopes. If there is a risk of inclement weather conditions for either event; the organizers reserve the right to modify the route and length of the route in order to ensure the safety of the participants.
Leave No Trace: The Badlands Trail Race takes place in a beautiful area. Littering will not be tolerated along the Maah Daah Hey Trail or at the Start/Finish area. This will result in immediate disqualification. Sufficient waste bins will be provided at aid stations.
Tread Lightly: This event operates under a special use permit through the Little Missouri National Grasslands. All participants are expected to stay on the trail at all times and adhere to the rules that are established for the event. Destroying plants along the route will not be tolerated. Do not harass the wildlife. Failure to follow the rules will subject you to immediate disqualification. Do not light any fires along the route. If you need to relieve yourself along the route, please bury all human waste at least 150 feet from the trail.
Rules and Regulations
Primal Quest/Eagle Endurance, LLC Rules and Regulations:
Local time: 1:01 AM
• Both the Wambaw Swamp Stomp and The Badlands Trail events are CUP FREE. Please bring a water bottle and a smaller cup to use at the Aid Stations along the route.
• Starting Time for BOTH events is 0730.
• Official Finish Time for The Badlands is 1930 for both the 50k and 50 mile events.
• Arguing with the Race Director OR a volunteer is not tolerated at all. Your TEAM will be DISQUALIFIED from the event if you argue with the RD or a volunteer. You must obey race personnel and officials at all times
• Must register by July 1, 2016 to be guaranteed an event shirt for The Badlands.
• Participant bib numbers: Please wear the number on the front of your shirt.
• Teams of 2 must travel forward together; under their own collective power (tethering ok)
• Teams shall stay within 50ft of one another at all times.
• Team finish time shall count as the second person crosses the finish line.
• No wheeled or mechanized support
• Participants must stay on marked course
• Must only receive aid (aside from teammate) at designated aid stations
• Absolutely no littering
• Must conduct themselves in a civil and sportsperson-like manner
• Must only use the speed of travel to prevent being passed by other competitors
• Not adhering to the rules of the event(s) will end with a disqualification of the TEAM
• If you are still running within an hour of sunset, you must have a headlamp on you. 15 minutes prior to sunset, the headlamp must be worn and illuminated until the completion of the event(s)
• Awards and Series Winners – Awards for the Primal Quest Team Ultra Category willb e for team finishes within the category – Recognizing Top Team placement in each category (co-ed, male, female). If over 50 teams are enrolled we will recognize Top 3 Teams in each category (co-ed, male and female teams).
Timing: Timing is kept using either an iPad or Android tablet, with related software. These events are not chip timed.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
Under no circumstance will refunds be issued, registrations be transferred to another person or transferred to a later date. If for any reason the event has to be shut down due to extreme weather and or disaster, you will be pulled from the course or held at an aid station until you can be removed from the course. Please, no arguing if this should happen. It is for your own safety.
Information concerning Civil Rights and affiliation with the Little Missouri National Grassland:
"In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) The Primal Quest Team Ultras and The Badlands Trail Run is operating under a special use permit.