Race details from 2019
Race details… Packet pick up and late registration will be from 3pm-7pm at York River State Park. Pick up will be near the Visitors Center (look for the “Finish” banner) and I will be happy to answer any questions about the course, etc. Park staff has been notified to not require a Parking Fee for packet pick up and you are welcome to pick up for friends and family. You can also pick up race morning between 7 & 7:30.
• RACE MORNING!! Park gate will open at 6:30am, no parking fees. YOU MUST CHECK IN WITH ME even if you picked up your packet the previous day. Because of the remote and challenging nature of the Marl Ravine section of the course, we must know who leaves the starting line and who is out on the trail. If for any reason you drop out of the race, please be sure to notify a volunteer or we will be left looking for you!
• Race morning we will gather at the visitors center area for packet pick up, etc and move to the staring line as a group (it is close to the contact station, you will see the “Start” banner when you drive in) Prerace briefing will be at 7:45 at the starting line area. Since this is the first year for this race, I anticipate something will cause us to run late, hopefully not, but please go with the flow! Race start is 8am.
• At Aid Station #2 (the end of Marl Ravine) you will be checked off as having come through by volunteers Will and Lisa. Please make sure your number is visible and that they see you.
• The course will be heavily marked with arrows and pink confidence streamers. The are many intersecting trails along the course, so if you are confused just make sure you are following the pink streamers and you will be all good!
• There will be 4 Aid Stations on the course, here are the details (please thank these wonderful volunteers):
Aid Station #1, approx. Mile 2 mark: Water, Tailwind, Hammer gels, mini bars, bananas, oranges
Marl Ravine Aid Station, approx. Mile 5: Water, Tailwind, Fruit
Aid Station #2, approx. mile 6.5: Water, Tailwind, Fruit, gels and bars
Aid Station #3, approx. 7.5 mile: Water only
Please note that there is a 3 mile distance between Aid Station #1 and The Marl Ravine Aid Station- please plan accordingly.
• The course terrain is as follows:
0-.5 mile gravel (fire road, uphill)
.5-1 mile Singletrack (trail will narrow so make sure you have a good position!)
1-2 mile Gravel/Dirt Fire road
2-6.5 mile Technical Single track trail
6.5-8+ mile Gravel/Dirt Fire Road
• Awards will be given in the following age groups:
Overall top 3 men and women
Overall top 3 Masters men and women (40+)
1st place only in the following age groups male/female:
29 and under
60 and up
Awards will follow immediately after all finishers have come through at approximately 10:45am. Race results will be posted on ultrasignup.com.
• Finish line food will include REALLY good Cheese pizza from Ole Towne Pizza in Williamsburg, bagels, cream cheese, fruit, OJ, Gatorade, water, Coffee
• Jules Wallace, a friend and local photographer, will be on the course and pictures will be posted up on Facebook free of charge.
• The Friends of York River State Park will be given a donation from race proceeds. They will have a table set up during packet pick up and hopefully race morning as well. Please consider joining this wonderful group to support this beautiful park! If anyone signs up to join on September 27 or 28th I will offer $10 off a future Happy Cat Events LLC race! Here is a link to info:
• EMS will be onsite for any emergencies that might come up. They are very familiar with the park, but you should know where you are on the trail (miles will be marked with signs) should you become in distress. Cell service is spotty in the park. We will have a bike leader pre riding the trail and sweeping the last few runners to make sure all are safe. Also keep in mind, that the public has been notified about the race, but there still might be bikes and hikers out in the park and on the single track trails. The Crazy 8 course runs in the opposite direction of bikes, so if they are out there, they will be coming at you from a forward direction, please hop out of their way! I caution you wearing music on the Marl Ravine section, I would prefer that you are aware of your surroundings! People might also need to communicate to you about passing so loud music makes this tough.
A few of additional notes…
Plan for about a 2 min per mile slower pace for this race simply because of the challenging terrain. The fire road sections will be good opportunities to increase speed and move up. The course runs long, it is not a certified course, so don’t panic when you get to the 8 mile mark and you still have a little ways to go! Please use good etiquette when passing. This is a rain or shine event. Do not leave trash on the trail. Hop out of the way of bikes. Don’t forget to enjoy the beauty of the scenery! September 28 is Public Lands Day, so no parking fees will be charged to family and friends who might want to cheer you on!
Please send me any questions you might have- I look forward to seeing you soon! You can also text me any quick questions on my cell race week at 757-240-3713.
This is a NEW event for 2019. We will utilize the Marl Ravine Mountain Bike trail at York River State Park in James City County, VA. The trail will be an out and back loop.
Race start is 8am and parking is included in the registration fee.
There will be limited aid on the course and runners are encouraged to carry hydration.
The 8 mile course is 100 % trail. approx. 5 miles of the 8 mile course are technical single track. The trail features roots, switchbacks, heavy foliage, sharp turns and constant elevation change.
Local time: 4:55 PM
map including Marl Ravine Trail: