The HURL Board of Directors and the HURL Race Committee are pleased to announce that the Moonlight on Mount Ascension race will take place on June 19 as planned.
After consulting with the City of Helena and USATF, HURL plans to implement protective measures to reduce our collective risk of exposure to COVID-19. However, since none of the measures is 100% effective, runners who choose to participate in this event do so at their own risk. Failure to comply with the protective measures may result in runner disqualification.
COVID-19 Protective Measures:
* The MOMA race will be limited to 50 participants.
* Runners will start in waves of ten or fewer. Each runner will be assigned a start time between 7 pm and 8 pm and will have 12 hours to complete the race.
* Runners must not approach the start area until the previous wave has started the race.
* Upon arrival, all runners, spectators and aid station volunteers will have their temperatures taken and will be asked to sign a statement that they are COVID-19 symptom-free and have had no known contact with an infected person within the previous three weeks. Anyone with a temperature above 100.4 will not be permitted to remain at the event.
* Runners are asked to minimize their crew and spectators. Spectators will be expected to follow the same precautions as runners and volunteers.
* We are checking into the feasibility of providing masks to all participants upon arrival. Runners are encouraged to wear masks when in the start/finish area.
* Garbage cans and hand sanitizer will be placed liberally throughout all common areas. Please use them.
* Please obey all posted signs encouraging runners, spectators and volunteers to remain 6 feet apart.
* There will be a hand washing station adjacent to the porta potties.
* While HURL will provide a central aid station, runners are encouraged to bring their own food and water and use their vehicles as personal aid stations.
* The aid station will be roped off and treated as a “clean area” . The only people allowed within the aid station will be volunteers assigned to work inside the aid station.
* Volunteer will wear masks, wash their hands frequently and sanitize all surfaces every half hour to avoid bringing contaminants into the food preparation area.
* When a runner requests food, a volunteer located inside the aid station will put the items into a baggie and hand it to the volunteer outside the aid station, who will place it on a table for pickup by the runner.
* Volunteers located in the aid station will be the only ones permitted to touch the 5 gallon coolers for beverages. Volunteers will fill pitchers and will use those to pour water and/or Heed from into the runner’s open containers.
* We will not be hosting an awards ceremony or pancake breakfast. Runners are encouraged to leave the start / finish area as soon as practical after their race is finished.
* Finishing times and placements will be posted to the HURL website within 24 hours of the race official end time of 8:00 am.
We look forward to hosting a safe and healthful event for you, and hope you will consider joining us on June 19, 2020.
As of now, this event IS NOT CANCELLED. Out of concern for the health of our runners and friends, we will monitor the situation closely and will follow the advice of local government officials. We have instituted the following changes:
o We have established a waitlist for interested runners. After clicking register, you will see a "sold out" message. Fill out the registration form but your card WILL NOT BE CHARGED AT THIS TIME. You will be put on the waitlist and we will contact you to register when we receive the all clear to proceed with the event.
o We will contact both registered and waitlisted runners with an update / final decision on or about June 1, 2020.
o If the event is cancelled, registered runners will receive a full refund.
o If the event is not cancelled, waitlisted runners will be given the opportunity to register, up to the cap of 100 runners.
Moonlight on Mt. Ascension
This is the only event of its kind in Montana, brought to you by the Helena Ultra Runners League (HURL). The course is a modified figure 8 loop on Helena’s South Hills trails (Mount Ascension and Rodney Ridge areas). Each figure 8 is 100% singletrack, 11.57 miles, and 2,645 feet of elevation gain per figure 8. You’ve got 12 hours to cover as many loops as possible. The event will start at 8:00 p.m. on Friday, June 19, and end at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, June 20. Run all night, sleep all day!
Local time: 8:12 PM
Even though this event takes place just outside the City of Helena, this is Montana so do not assume that you won’t run into wildlife. Deer, black bear, and mountain lion have been seen along these trails. Also, being Montana trails, there are plenty of rocks out there...no sleep running!. It’s a HURL event, we can’t make it easy on you!
***LIMITED TO 100 TOTAL RUNNERS***