The Chopawamsic Challenge is a unique 50K and 100K foot race that is held in Prince William Forest Park. With generous time cut-offs this is an opportunity to test yourself at an ultra marathon distance. Or simply extend your range/mileage in a trail race. The Challenge takes its name from the Native American Algonquian language meaning "isolated lodge". Chopawamsic was the original name given to the area during the Great Depression when it was designated a National Recreation Area. Detailed information can be found at….. Its rich history includes the Civilian Conservation Corps, one of the homes of the OSS, and now a Park within the National Park Service. Come run on trails that have a rich history that predates the birth of our Country!
The CC 50K and CC100K will be run on 100% trails. Over 90% will be on single track, with the remaining 10% being on dirt and fire roads with a small stretch on an open grass field. Our single track trails will feature just over 6,000 feet of ascent for the 50K and 12,000 feet of ascent for the 100K. Runners will be required to complete a 10 kilometer (6.25 mile) loop 5 times to achieve the 50K and 10 loops respectively for the 100K. Each loop will have a water point at the halfway point. The loop profile will be available in the coming weeks.
The CC50K will have an twelve (12) hour time limit. The field will be limited to 50 runners. Each runner is required to run with water, and must have a light (torch) for the night segment of the race. The race will start on Saturday morning 7:00am. It will conclude at Sunday morning 1:00am. The final loop MUST be completed by 7:00pm to receive official credit.
The CC100K will have an eighteen (18) hour time limit. The field will be limited to 50 runners. Each runner is required to run with water, and must have a light (torch) for the night segment of the race. The race will start on Saturday morning 7:00am. It will conclude at Sunday morning 1:00am. The final loop MUST be completed by Sunday morning at 1:00am to receive official credit.
The start time for the 50K and 100K is 07:00am. The Start/Finish is co-located at the Camp 5 (Happyland Camp) within Prince William Forest Park. Runners wishing to stay the evening prior can do so at the Camp 5. The lodging is somewhat rustic in nature, with both dormitory and cabin style accommodations. Availability is first come, first serve. There is a large area for drop bags. Parking is available at two locations within a ¼ mile to the Camp 5. The morning of the race will have a shuttle going back and forth from the parking areas to the Start/Finish. We will have a mandatory pre-race briefing starting at 7:00pm on Friday before the run. A full breakfast will be served starting at 5:30am before the start of the race.
All finishers will receive a finisher’s award. Special award recognition will be given to the top three (3) male and top three (3) female competitors. The awards ceremony for the 50K will be held at 8:00pm after its completion. The awards ceremony for 100K will be held at 7:30am, concurrently with the 24HR ATR.
Local time: 9:56 AM