Race The Snake!
The 4th annual Snake 10-Mile Trail Race takes its name from the winding nature of the course, set amid the rugged trails and old-growth forest of the north shore of Clinton Lake, Lawrence, Kan. This year, due to Clinton Lake's high water levels, The SNAKE course will move inland, traversing about half its distance on the White Trail, with the rest a challenging mix of grass, gravel and road, including splendid views of the park from a double-ascent of Bunker Hill. As always, the unique course layout promises a new experience to even the seasoned Clinton Lake veteran! DUES-PAYING LAWRENCE TRAIL HAWKS GET $10 OFF THE ENTRY FEE. Golden Hawk Challengers get $15 off entry. Contact RD Gary Henry for the promo code before signing up. The SNAKE features a midway aid station staffed by fellow trail runners and a post-race watermelon feast for runners, volunteers, families and friends. Entrants receive a 22-ounce ceramic beer mug emblazoned with the distinctive SNAKE logo. The SNAKE is designed for runners who like using the words "brutal" and "fun" in the same sentence. SNAKE packet pick-up is planned for Friday, July 12, 2-6 pm at Ad Astra Running in Lawrence. You can also pick up race-day morning, starting at 6 am.
SPECIAL SNAKE SAFETY ANNOUNCEMENT
The race directors have once again concluded a special arrangement with the snakes of Clinton Lake not to attack any runners in "The Snake." On signing up, each entrant will be given a unique "snake name." As a runner, if you encounter a snake on the trail, simply identify yourself with your snake name, then give the snake as wide a berth as possible, and the snake will leave you in peace. Molesting snakes in any way violates the terms of our agreement with the snake population. When snakes and people meet, both should depart unharmed.
To help protect our runners and minimize our impact on beautiful Clinton Lake, runners should follow these guidelines:
Local time: 2:28 AM
1) Respect the trails. Stay on marked trails, and don't litter. Runners caught littering will be disqualified.
2) We will have a sign in/sign out sheet on race day. This will let us know all runners are safely off the trails. sign in when you get there, sign out before you leave.
3) Dogs are welcome, but should be on a leash. Please ensure your dog is capable of handling the distance and heat.
4) No jogging strollers or other wheeled vehicles. You're welcome to try, but we reserve the right to film it and post the results to YouTube. :)
5) No drinking alcoholic beverages or smoking on the course during the race.
6) The trails will be open to non-racers; be courteous to the other users.
7) Any runner under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult runner at all times during the race.