Important Updates (9/1/20) We just received the "OK" from the county for this race! This means that we are moving forward, full-steam ahead! Our squatchtastic "Dream Team Extreme" has been tirelessly working out all of the details to make this trail party safe, fun and an all-around squatchy time. This means that we will be making some adjustments... Here are the details you need to know before you register for this trail party!
- We are limiting the race to 200 total people and offering two different start times, so we can be more spread out! Each start time will be limited to 100 people, so don't delay in signing up. This event WILL sell-out before registration closes.
- We are accepting runners/hikers from any state that is NOT on the NJ Travel Advisory List. This list is updated often, so please take a look at it before you register. Non-NJ Residents who are registered for our event need to make sure their state is not on the list, the day that they travel to NJ. If you register for our race, and your state is added to the list, we will give you a 100% credit towards any 2020 or 2021 event (again, we will not offer refunds). https://covid19.nj.gov/faqs/nj-information/travel-and-transportation/which-states-are-on-the-travel-advisory-list-are-there-travel-restrictions-to-or-from-new-jersey
- Although we do not anticipate this, in the event that the county pulls the permit, we will give all pre-registered runners/hikers a 100% credit to any 2020 or 2021 Sassquad event. Please note, this means that we are not offering refunds on the non-refundable registration fee.
- The all-you-can-eat buffet, AKA Aid Station, will include all pre-packaged food. Although we don't love the waste this adds to our footprint, we are making every effort to reduce touch-points at the event. You are welcome to bring your own food/water! Our volunteers will also fill all water bottles/hydration packs for runners during the race.
- Runners/hikers will use a mask during check-in, at the start of the race and at the aid station. All runners will need to carry a mask/buff with them and should use them anytime you cannot stay 6 feet apart from other people.
- Please wait until 5 minutes before the start-time to come towards the starting line. If you are more comfortable waiting a few minutes for other runners/hikers to leave, you are more than welcome to start the race a few minutes late.
The Thanksgiving feast is over, Black Friday is done; now it's time for you to get off the couch, leave the stores and head over to the trails! Join us on Saturday November 28, 2020 at the South Mountain Reservation in West Orange, NJ for The Squatchy Leftovers 5K & 10K trail run! We will be donating some of the proceeds from our event to our charity partner, "Operation Chillout". Operation Chillout will use our donation to purchase warm clothing for homeless Veterans in New Jersey! In the past, this has been a "Fat Sass Event", meaning we did not give out swag, provide aid or record official times. This year we are transitioning the event to an official Trail Party! All runners/hikers will receive a handcrafted wood medal, a finishers' item and receive official results.
This is a runner/hiker friendly event and definitely family-friendly! Sign up for the 5K and run/hike 1 loop or sign up for the 10K and run/hike 2 loops. We are offering 2 different start times so that runners have more room on the trails to spread out.
Runners/hikers can sign up to start at 9AM or 11AM on Saturday November 28, 2020.
Check-in for the 9AM start is from 8AM-8:30AM; all runners must be checked-in by 8:30AM.
Check-in for the 11AM start is from 10-10:30AM; all runners must be checked-in by 10:30AM
We will provide pre-packaged snacks and water at the start/finish, all runners/hikers will receive a handcrafted wood medal and a finishers' item! There will be portapotty's at the trailhead.
We used the proceeds from The Squatchung Surprise race in September to purchase warm clothing that will be delivered directly to homeless veterans in NJ through the local non-profit OPERATION CHILLOUT! We want you to donate additional items so we can continue helping our heroes! Here are the specific items that we will be collecting for our friends at Operation Chillout:
NEW and UNUSED:
- Wool, Nylon, Acrylic Heavy Socks
- Thermal Tops
- Thermal bottoms
- Zipped hooded sweatshirts
- Heavy flannel shirts/jackets
- Waterproof non-leather GoreTex Gloves
- Acrylic Knit Hats
Please only donate the following sizes for clothing: Men's Large, XL, XXL and Women's Medium, Large and XL
(This is the same 5K loop that we use for The Frosty Fat Sass) The course will be marked: Start on the Hillspur trail. When the trail splits, stay left to continue onto Longwood Trail. Turn right onto Reservoir Road Trail; the Girl Scout Camp will be on your left (if you run through the camp or if you hit a road, you missed the turn!). At the bottom of the mountain, follow the orange trail markers to make a right onto Reservoir Trail. At the first split, keep left to stay on Reservoir Trail. Reservoir Trail will turn into the white-dot Zoo Loop Trail. After the trail becomes a single track, turn right onto connector trail (marked by orange duct tape). Take this all the way up to the parking lot, turn right to stay on the grass (the portapottys will be on your left) back to the start/finish. You can check out the whole course here: https://www.strava.com/routes/10875718
Q: How many items should I bring for my donation to Operation Chillout?
A: That is entirely up to you! We encourage you to bring at least 1 item per registration.
Q: Can I sign my kids up for the Squatchy Leftovers 5K/10K?
A: Yes! This is a family friendly event. Be sure to register your child separately and agree to the waiver for minors. And make sure to keep track of Maggie and Jack before during and after the event. We only have 1 search-party and they're already out there looking for Sasquatch.
Q: What's the weather like in West Orange, NJ in November?
A: Cold. Snow. Maybe Hail. Balmy? Dress warm. Bring layers. Be smart.
Q: I could get lost in a brown paper bag. Will the course be marked?
A: Lost, lost lost... I've lost my marbles... Oh ehem... YES. We will have bright colored ribbons along the course and plenty at all of the turns. We will also do our best to mark the ground for each of the turns (this depends on the snow situation).
Q: What is the 5K loop like?
A: 83.870% doublewide trails and 16.130% singletrack trails. Plenty of hills, rocks and roots. Check out the map and elevation profile up top in the picture gallery. The end of the loop takes you behind Turtleback Zoo; you'll hear the Zoo train whistle all morning and although you can't see the animals from the trail, you might hear them!
Q: I don't want to run, are there any volunteer opportunities?
A: Yes! We always need Sassy Volunteers! Click the "Volunteer" button at the top of the page!
Q: If I sign up for the 10K but don't feel like running another loop once I finish the first one, can I stop running?
A: You are fart factory, slug-slimed, sack-of-rat-guts-in-cat-vomit, cheesy, scab-picked, pimple-squeezing finger bandage. A week old maggot burger with everything on it and flies on the side!
Q: Um, that was rude... So, can I stop running after the first loop if I get tired?
A: Yes, of course you can. Please let the RD or volunteer know if you are leaving the race.
Q: Can I bring my dog?
A: Nana cannot come to this race. Our liability insurance does not cover dogs in the race. Thank you for cooperating!
Be a Hero
Join the Volunteer Dream Team! We need help with check-in, sweeping the course and cleaning up. Are you registered for a race that requires volunteer hours? We can sign-off on the hours that you log at the Squatchy Leftovers 5K/10K! We love our volunteer team and we are always looking to add more sassy members to the Volunteer Squad!
Sassquad Trail Running
We are a community of SASQUATCH-lovin' trail runners. Our goal is to provide FUN and challenging events for a reasonable cost and a worthy cause. (We like to think that) We have a good sense of humor, a full arsenal of sarcastic wit, useless trivia facts and a deep appreciation for cinematic masterpieces (as evidenced multiple times already). Follow us on Instagram @sassquadtrailrunning and like us on Facebook to get all of our Squatchy updates: www.facebook.com/sassquadtrailrunning
Thank you to our friends at Sneaker Factory, NJ! Sneaker Factory supports Sassquad Trail Running on and off the trails to help make the events as squatchtastic as possible! The Sneaker Factory is NJ's source for all things running: New Jersey's oldest and most well-known running store, originally opened in Millburn in 1978. Stop by one of our three convenient neighborhood locations and let us help you find the "perfect ride for every stride." Millburn, Florham Park and Basking Ridge. https://www.sneakerfactorynj.com/
Local time: 5:41 AM