The Naturalist Trail Race - 25 / 50k, which is a part of the Outdoor 76 FALL CELEBRATION, is back for another round of leg hurting fun on October 3, 2020! This day encompasses our trail race, 3 bands throughout the day along with 18 draft craft beers for all post race celebrations!! Our sponsors this year include: The North Face, NC Bartram Trail Society and Salomon.
Come explore the same trails that William Bartram, "The Naturalist", ventured on in the late 1700's. This ultimate 50k will cover some of the most challenging ground in the Southeast. Runners will leave from downtown Franklin, NC at 8am and travel to the Bartram Trail area on Wallace Branch. Here runners will start the brutal climb that ultimately leads to Wayah Bald. From the Wallace Branch trail head to the top of Wayah Bald is approximately 11 miles. The 25k will have over 5500' of climbing (50k will have over 8,500' of climbing), making your legs feel weak just reading this. There will be multiple stations with food and water. 25K racers will end on Wayah Bald after running up the Bartram Trail. When 50k racers reach Wayah Bald they will circle the bald, resupply then head back down the Bartram Trail. Make sure you grab a t-shirt as you cross the finish line located on the square in downtown Franklin....you just earned a spot in the "I'm Incredible" book! Outdoor 76 will host the post race meal, music, beer....and oh yeah awards!
Event details and schedule
- Limited to 100 racers (25k & 50k combined)
- Limited parking available on Wayah Bald, carpooling is highly recommended.
- Racers are encouraged to carry at least 1 liter of water on the climb from Wallace Branch to Wayah Bald. Very limited access in the area.
- Race check-in will be Friday, October 2 from 5-8pm AND race day, Saturday morning from 6:30-8am at Outdoor 76.
- Race will begin promptly at 8am in front of Outdoor 76 on Main Street.
- 25k runners will be given 3 drop bags that will be dropped off by race staff at mile 3.7 and mile 9.6. Any items needed at those check points must fit in those bags. Drop bags must be turned in by 7:30am at registration area.
- 50k runners will be given 3 drop bags that will be dropped off at mile 3.7, mile 9.6, mile 15.5 and mile 21.6. Any items needed at those check points must fit in those bags. Drop bags must be turned in by 7:30am at registration area.
- Aid Stations will be at mile markers: 3.7, 9.6, 15.5, 21.6, and 27.5.
- Aid Stations will include the following items: Water, Gatorade, Fruit and Powerbars.
- Cut off times are when the runners MUST leave the aid station, not arrive at the aid station. Example: 25k runner arrives at Harrison Gap at 10:55am they must be back on the trail by 11am.
- 25k cut-off time will be 11am at Harrison Gap (mile 9.6)
- 50k cut-off time will be 2pm at Wayah Bald (mile 15.5)
- 50k cut-off time will be 3pm at Harrison Gap (mile 21.6)
- Shuttle service will be available for 25k runners. Race directors must know if a runner needs a shuttle no later than 5pm on September, 2020.
- The Bartram Trail is home to lots of different types of animals. Yellow jackets are occasionally encountered in early fall and poison ivy in some areas as well. Two poisonous snakes inhabit the area– the timber rattlesnake and the copperhead–but are rarely seen. Black bears are also present in the area, please be aware of your surroundings while running.
WAIVER: ASSUMPTION OF RISK.
Local time: 4:29 PM
I (on my own behalf and on behalf of my heirs, personal representatives, successors and assigns), for and in consideration of the opportunity to participate in The Naturalist–Epic 25/50k race event hereby release Outdoor 76, O76 LLC, the U.S. Forest Service, the NC Bartram Trail Society, PATTON, L M JR -TRUSTEE and the owners of all private property over which the race may cross, together with their officers, directors, event sponsors and volunteers, and other participants in this race, (the “Released Parties”) from any and all claims and demands, rights and causes of action of any kind whatsoever which I now have or later may have resulting in from, arising out of, or in connection with my participation in this event, including but not limited to damages for death, personal injury, pain and suffering, economic loss, loss of property or property damage.
This Release extends to any and all claims I have or may have against the Released Parties whether such claims result from negligence on the part of any or all Released Parties with respect to the conditions, qualifications, instructions or procedures under which this event is conducted
I fully understand and acknowledge that this event has inherent risks, dangers and hazards and my participation in such activities may result in injury or illness including, but not limited to, bodily injury, disease, strains, fractures, partial and/or total paralysis, death or other ailments that could cause serious disability. I understand that by signing this document, it means that I agree not to sue any or all of the Released Parties for any injuries resulting to my property or myself during or in connection with this event.
I am experienced in and familiar with and fully understand the risks and dangers inherent in this activity and event. I am voluntarily participating in the event and I expressly agree to assume the entire risk of any accident or personal injury, including death, which I might suffer as a result of my participation in the event on the part of any or all of the Released Parties.
I am in good health and am aware of no physical problem or condition, which will limit or interfere with my ability to participate in this event, under either predicted or emergency conditions. I also understand that medical attention may not be readily available in the areas where this event is taking place.
Runners also understand that time cut-offs are in place for the protection of those participating. Anyone that continues to race after being told by officials or volunteers to stop understands they are relinquishing aid station services and all resources offered by race directors. This action could also disqualify you from participating in future races.
For the purpose of implementing this Release, I expressly acknowledge that this Release is intended to include all claims which the parties do not know or suspect exist in their favor at the time of the execution hereof. I agree to follow all rules, regulations, or instructions with respect to this event and to use my best judgment and common sense while participating in the event.
THIS IS A RELEASE – READ BEFORE SIGNING
By signing this Release, I certify that I have read this Release and fully understand it and that I am not relying on any statements or representations of anyone released thereby.