THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED
Thank you for your patience as we have monitored the spread of COVID-19. This is a frustrating time for all of us as we have seen numerous races canceled and it makes you wonder when we will get back to normal.
On 6/10/2020, when we posted our last update, we started to see an upward trend in the number of COVID cases in North Texas. In a short time, this trend has grown aggressively resulting in Governor Abbott rolling back parts of the Texas reopening plan. There is too much uncertainty with how the virus is spreading to move forward with the remainder of our 2020 race season.
With deep regret, now is the time to make the call and cancel this year’s events. Our expenses have been minimal to date and allows me to provide a full refund to anyone registered for Six-O or Lake Murray.
There are several factors that went into this decision:
- Three of the four remaining races are in areas with much lower spread than the greater Dallas/Fort Worth area. I don’t feel it’s responsible to encourage large numbers of people to travel to these communities and potentially seed an outbreak there. I certainly don’t want that on my conscience.
- Many of our runners and volunteers are older and I don’t want to put them at risk. I also don’t want to be responsible for someone catching this at our event and passing it on to a loved one who is at higher risk.
- Much is still unknown about this virus. Many professional athletes and sports doctors are concerned about the long term health impacts.
- Even with waivers, liability protection from COVID is a grey area. This has been the subject of debate in Congress.
- Registration numbers will be lower due to fewer people registering or imposed capacity limits. Either situation makes it difficult to produce an event without losing money.
- This is a rapidly evolving situation and permits can be revoked up to the date of the event after many or all expenses have been incurred.
- Anyone registered for Lake Murray or Six-O will receive a full refund (minus transaction fees paid to UltraSignup). Please give us time to process the refunds. It might take a few weeks to get this sorted out in full.
- All race credits from the cancellation of the 2020 Grasslands Trail run will be valid for the 2021 or 2022 season. We don’t want anyone to feel forced to return to a large scale event before they are personally comfortable doing so.
- We are evaluating a low cost virtual run for the 2020 Rockledge Rumble to provide continuity for the race. We expect to make a final decision soon and will provide details by August 1.
- I monitor the COVID numbers daily and will continue to do so for the duration of the pandemic. If I see the numbers come down to a level where we would feel comfortable holding any of the events, we will revisit the decision for our later races.
I’m optimistic about the prospects of a vaccine being available next year that will help us get back to normal. There are a lot of very smart people in the biotech industry working on this. Over the next couple of months, we’ll confirm dates for the 2021 race season. We will be back!
In the meantime, I hope everyone stays safe and healthy. Please be careful out there. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone in 2021.
The 2nd Lake Murray Endurance Run will take place on October 24-25, 2020 at Lake Murray State Park near Ardmore, Oklahoma. Lake Murray State Park is Oklahoma’s first and Largest State Park, with over 12,500 acres of forested rolling hills surrounding Lake Murray. The park has an extensive trail system that consists of over 30 miles of trail. The trails offer a wide variety of terrain ranging from simple and flat, to moderately difficult.
Race Course: https://blazetrails.com/lake-murray-course/
All Activities below take place at Duke’s Forest Campground.
Friday, October 23
3:00 – 6:30 p.m. Packet Pick up and registration
2:00 – 6:00 p.m. Drop Bag Dropoff (Drop bags will not be delivered to remote aid station(s) after 6:00 p.m. No Exceptions!)
5:00 p.m. 100 Mile/100K Race Briefing
Saturday, October 24
5:00 a.m. Packet pick up and same-day registration opens
6:00 a.m. 100-Mile/100K Start
7:15 a.m. 50K Pre-race brief
7:30 a.m. 50K Start
7:45 a.m. 25K Pre-race brief
8:00 a.m. 25K Start
Packet pick up and same day registration will be open until 8:00 a.m. However, we recommend that all participants arrive early to allow time to pick up your packet, race chip, and get ready for your race.
We award the top 3 male and female finishers, and the top Master’s finisher (40+), in all events.
Sub-24 Finisher Buckle for all participants who complete the course under 24 hours.
Finisher Buckle for all participants who complete the course in under 30 hours.
All 100-miler finishers will also earn special finisher swag with race logo, their name, and finishing time.
Finisher Buckle for all participants who complete the course under the time limit (29 hours).
Finisher award unique to their event
Finisher award unique to their event.
Our runners love our race shirts and we will do our best to order enough shirts for everyone. However, to be guaranteed a race shirt in your preferred size, register before October 14.
Camping and Lodging
A wide variety of options are available at Lake Murray State Park including a full-service lodge, cabins, RV sites, and primitive tent camping. We encourage all participants from out of town to stay at Lake Murray State Park. This is an important source of revenue for Oklahoma State Parks. The closest options are within Lake Murray State Park. Other options are available in Ardmore just a short drive from the Start/Finish at Duke’s Forest Campground.
Lake Murray Lodge and Cabins
3323 Lodge Rd, Ardmore, OK 73401
Duke’s Forest Campground
This is by far the closest option. All campsites are just minutes from the shelter where the race starts and finishes. We have reserved the entire campground and will accept reservations directly from runners. More information will be shared in the coming months. If you are interested in reserving a campsite at Duke’s Forest on race weekend, please send an email to email@example.com.
Duke’s Forest Campground has 34 Water/Electric campsites available for RV camping plus another primitive area for tent camping.
RV Sites $15/night.
Tent Sites $10/night
Please refer to the following map for details on Duke’s Forest Campground:
Duke’s Forest Campground Map
Additional campgrounds at Lake Murray State Park are also available within a short driving distance from Duke’s Forest Campground. Click here for more details.
If you prefer a hotel, search for hotels in Ardmore, OK. We've listed hotels that are nearby on our lodging webpage found here: https://blazetrails.com/lake-murray-lodging/
Blaze Trails Running depends on amazing volunteers and appreciate your support. If you're interested in volunteering, please sign up for a shift on our signup page found here:
Local time: 6:53 AM
To help care for our volunteers, we'll make sure you're fed whenever you're on your shift and all volunteers will also get an event shirt. In addition, we'll cover your camping fee at Duke's campground. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know if you have an RV or tent and let us know you're volunteering.