What your getting yourself in to.
The BackBone Trail is a 68-mile point-to-point course that starts at Will Rogers State Park and goes up the coast to Ray Miller trail in La Jolla canyon and has 13,222 ft. of elevation gain In 2016,staff and volunteers completed the last section of the Backbone Trail, creating an unbroken trail experience through the best protected stretch of coastal Mediterranean habitat in the world.
Local time: 5:36 PM
This is going to be a bit different from your normal hikes, this is a self supported event :
There will be no trail marking and no aid stations. We will have water drops at certain locations and will provide exact location closer to event. There are 7 location where your crew and Water drops will be located. Miles 11.5, 18.3, 25.6, 31.6, 38.1, 43.4, and 52.7. The last section is the longest but normally there is water at Danielson ranch or at the intersection of Wood Canyon vista.
What are you responsible for?
1. You and your crew are responsible for paying all fees if you enter State or National parks.
2. You’re responsible to get yourself to the Start and then picking up your Vehicle at the finish.
3. All runners must download GPX tracks on your watch or phone and have them before they start
4. Have a map of the whole course and have the course mapped out. The best maps for this course is Tom Harrison Maps, you will need 4 of them Topanga, Malibu Creek, Zuma Trancas Canyon and Point Mugu. https://tomharrisonmaps.com/product-category/southern-ca-maps/
5. All runners must carry a spot device that will be provided by the event. Live tracking is included and this fee will come later.
Yes you won’t start if you don’t have a Map!!!! All these items must be carried during the event.
Map CalTopo: https://caltopo.com/m/PT9C