**Update** Race is a go. Permit is in place. All the goodies are on the way. Should be an exciting time. We decided the cutoff for the overlapping races would be 60 participants (6 hour, 12 hour, and the midday 1 hour). Once the combined 60 is hit (almost there) it will go to waitlist. I cleared out the mid-day 1 hour opening to free up the few remaining spots in the 6/12 hour. (The 7am and 6pm 1 hour races will remain open as they do not overlap into the other races except the 12.) TSHIRT went in on the 19th. I ordered several extras but no guarantees.
The Race: There How many laps can you run around a track in 1 hour? How about 6 hours? How about 12? Pick a fixed time and knock out as many laps as you dare to. The one hour is designed for those looking for a quicker race and a goal from a 5k (~13 laps) to 15k (~39 laps). On the ultra side, the 6 hour might be good for those looking to add some distance and chase 20-40 miles (80-160 laps) and look for 50k-100k+ goals (124-248 laps or more) in the 12 hours race. There’s no pressure in a fixed time race. So do as much or as little as you can or want to. Race with old friends or make some new ones. Run, walk, or crawl, but have fun.
Race Rule FAQ:
1. Direction Change: We will change directions at 11AM and then again at 3PM. This will have the 12 hour runners changing direction every 4 hours, and the 6 hour runners changing at the midway point.
2. Aid Stations/Canopies can be set up on the inside of the course, but will need to be about a few feet off the course to allow runners to step off when accessing their aid stations. There should be plenty of room to setup!
3. Everyone has the right to the inside lane (I use the word lane loosely here because the lane markings have long disappeared at brokentrack!) as it is the shortest distance around the track! Faster runners are responsible for changing lanes to pass. We ask that you do not "congregate" with a group of friends and create a wall in the inside section of the course. Ideally runners will be able to easily pass where lane 2 would be (if lines existed!).
4. Packet Pick-up will be the morning of the race, and there will potentially be a Friday Night get together at Englewood Beach. Details to come.
The "Historic" Track
Welcome to the brokentrack 12/6/1 hour races, a fixed-time race around the historic 1/4 mile track at GC Herring Park in Rotonda, Florida. The goal is to run as many 1/4 mile loops as you can in your desired time. In the 1970s, the track at GC Herring was the site of ABC's World of Sports televised competitions that brought together top athletes including Walter Payton, Kyle Rote Jr., Pete Rose, OJ Simpson, and Joe Frazier to compete in sports competitions in the area, including running and biking races around this very track. Now over 40 years later (and the name of the race should be taken quite literally!), the mostly-forgotten track awaits a new set of champions. The race will be timed by the good folks at TrailHead Ultras! We have the permit in hand from the county and are approved for a live race.
There will be 3 different races, each professionally chip-lapped. A single 12 hour, a single 6 hour, and three 1 hour races (Run 1, or run all 3!).
The 12 Hour will start at 7AM. Run as many laps as you can, take as many breaks as you want. Come and go as you please!
The 6 Hour will begin at 8AM and end at 2PM. Do the same thing as the 12, but not as long, obviously.
Don't want to run all day? The one hour has start times of (roughly) 7AM, 1PM, and 6PM. They will all be combined as one race to produce one set of 1HR winners. For those looking to do 5K-15K distances, there are three different one hour time slots, each with a unique advantage. The 7:00ish AM will get the advantage of a traditional early start before the sun comes out too much. The 1PM start will be in the heat of the day, but get in on the 2PM pizza action as the end their race with the 6 Hour runners (and it's a good midrace lunch for the 12-hour runners). The 6PM runners have the advantage of knowing how many laps will be needed to beat the earlier time slots. If you want to really challenge yourself, run all three of the 1 hour races by purchasing the 1 Hour 3 Pack at a discount (races will be combined with the normal 1 hour, so you could very well take the top 3 spots in the 1HR competition). 3 pack challengers will get 1 shirt, finisher medal, etc.
Important Fun Notice
This race is meant to be a lot of fun! There could be a lot of people on the track, and many will be walking or pacing themselves. We have intentionally mixed "fast" and "slower" races together. If you are running a one hour, please be prepared to run around other people frequently. It's a track and anyone has the right to occupy the inside of the track as long as they are moving. So yes, you will be running around people while also dodging the potholes. Relax and have fun.
Aid Station/Personal Setup
Runners in the 12/6 hour race will be able to set up a table/canopy (or throw a towel on the ground, whatever) around the track for personal aid stations. We will have a supplemental aid station that will offer a rotating snack throughout the race. Expect a different food or "snack" item each hour. There will be awesome donuts at the 8AM hour, and there will be Pizza at 2PM. Other items throughout the day can range from fruit or chips to flavr-ice or similar. We will have a sign at the station to alert you of the current offering, and all snacks will be grab-go style not hands into the dish!) While we will provide these supplemental items, please be prepared to provide for other nutritional needs (such as fruits, snacks, beverages, etc) as you may or may not like the offering of certain hours.
We will provide an ice bandana as part of the runner swag, but please bring your own ice as we cannot have large "shared" buckets of ice. Water and Electrolytes should be filled or swapped at your personal aid stations/setups if possible.
We will provide pizza at 2PM for the mid-race 12-Hour runners and the 6 Hour finishers (and any one hours who happen to be there), and this will be the main meal provided for runners. It will be good, trust me!
Local time: 10:22 PM
- Ice Bandanas for all runners (ice not included)
- Soft Unisex Crew Shirt in heather teal (Must register by May 15 to guarantee a race shirt)
- Finisher medals for all runners who complete at least one lap of 1/4Mile
- Overall & Masters M/F Awards for each Race from Wicked Skins
- Free Race Photos
- All race winners will hold "course records" since it's the first race.
- Bathrooms on site, steps from the course!
- There's a RC Track in the middle of the course. Bring the kids and the RC cars.
Race Awards will be given as follows: Most Laps Male and Female and Most Laps Male and Female Masters for the 6, 12, and 1 Hour races. If you are doing a 3 1-hour race package, your BEST 1 hour lap count will go toward the 1 hour race. So you have 3 chances to win the 1 hour race.