Please join us for Badwater Cape Fear, our (B)east Coast Race!
The BADWATER® ultra running experience returns to the East Coast when the tenth CAPE FEAR BADWATER takes place on Bald Head Island, North Carolina on March 23, 2024.
With 50km and 51-mile race options and a start line at the foot of the Old Baldy Lighthouse, Cape Fear Badwater® features a twelve-mile warm-up on the car-free, one-lane-wide roads and maritime forest trails of Bald Head Island, followed by either 19 or 39 miles of running on the wild and secluded sandy beach between Cape Fear and Fort Fisher. The beach stretch features spectacular views of the Frying Pan Shoals to the east and the wild and undeveloped marshlands of the Cape Fear River to the west. Running this remote coast is a dramatic, invigorating, and inspiring manner in which to experience Bald Head Island, Fort Fisher State Recreation, and the Cape Fear region in all its grandeur!
Badwater Race Director Chris Kostman discovered Bald Head Island from the Nicholas Sparks movie "Safe Haven" and fell in love with the whole Cape Fear area. Reflecting on the island and on Badwater® Cape Fear, he states "It's a really interesting and unusual place which allows us to host an extraordinarily beautiful and challenging Badwater race." He further notes “the exquisite natural setting is the perfect antidote to the ‘real world’ and a wonderful counterpart to the desert sands and mountains of Death Valley and the Anza-Borrego Desert featured in our two West Coast Badwater races!”
Bald Head Island and nearby Southport, NC are ideal vacation get-away spots for the entire family, located less than one hour from Wilmington, NC and its major airport with Delta, American, and United service. (Flying into Myrtle Beach, SC is another convenient option.)
Due to the remarkable beauty and quaint southern charm of this area, as well as this impeccable, authentic BADWATER race experience, many Badwater Cape Fear participants are now making this race an annual pilgrimage and many have turned it into a family vacation as well. It is really that fantastic!
Local time: 4:22 PM
• Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. Please do not ask.
• A 75% Rollover Credit for next year's event ONLY is available until 30 days prior to the race. To withdraw from this event and obtain the 75% Rollover Credit, log into your UltraSignUp account and withdraw yourself from the event.
• If the event is canceled due to pandemic, hurricane, community disaster, or other force majeure, neither refunds nor credits will not be given.
• Although we anticipate using the same or nearly the same route each year, the final, exact route is subject to approval from various government agencies and is always subject to change due to various factors beyond our control.
• This event is held subject to special use permits from the Village of Bald Head Island, Fort Fisher State Recreation Area, and the North Carolina Division of Coastal Management.