The Mark Twain Trail Summit is a celebration of local running clubs including Arch City Run Club, Daily Run Club, St. Louis Trail Running Club, St. Louis Track Club, Jefferson County Run Club, Columbia SMUT, Lake of the Ozarks Runners and the Saint Louis Ultrarunners Group.
The Mark Twain Trail Summit is held at Berryman Campground (Home of the Berryman Trail Races) Southwest of St. Louis. It is a social event that includes group fun runs on the 26-mile Berryman loop (Friday night and Saturday), and culminates in a cook out on Saturday afternoon.
On Saturday, we will gather at 7:30am for a song and a group run (all paces/distances welcome) and end with food, fellowship, and your standard tomfoolery.
To help with planning and to cover cost of refreshments, we are going to charge a nominal fee this year.
Can’t run? We would love to have you as a volunteer! Contact: Eric Buckley, Race Director
- September 1: Reg closes. You can still come, but it sure would be helpful for estimating food if you'd sign up in advance.
- September 8: Feel free to arrive early and camp at the primitive Berryman Campground (pit toilets, no water or electricity). Camping at Berryman is first come/first served, but additional open camping on Forest grounds is available if the campground is full. Sit around the campfire, sing songs, go for a night run,... whatever floats your boat.
- Speaking of which, we will have a somewhat more formal night run this year starting a 8PM. Probably the 12-mile route unless the bulk of those present lobby for something different.
- September 9, 7:00AM: Check in.
- 7:30AM: Introduction of participating clubs; please have someone ready to tell the group why your club is the best.
- 7:45AM: Musical sendoff.
- Later that day...: Run as far as you want. Recommended distances are 7, 12, 18 (short loops), or 26 (full loop) miles, but it's totally up to you. When you get back we'll have the grill fired up with burgers (meat and bean), and all the fixin's plus a few coolers of beer, water, and soda.
- Sometime in the afternoon: Eric plays his set of ultra-race songs on the Uke. Don't say you weren't warned.
Please bring a side dish or dessert to share for the post-run picnic. Also (and this is going to be a SLUG thing going forward at all our post-race parties), please bring your own plate and utensils to help cut down on waste. We will have some disposable stuff if you forget, but do the planet a favor.
Also standard for all SLUG events going forward: no disposable cups. We'll have water and some snacks out on course, but you're not likely to make it around the Berryman loop without having something to carry water in, so just plan on using your own hydration system for everything.
Event's current local time: 11:15 PM CT