The premise is quite simple. Can you run 4.16667 miles in ONE hour? And do it again and again and again.... until you are the LAST RUNNER STANDING! Last man standing will begin on Friday night at 7pm!
Kansas City Backyard Ultra is affiliated with the Backyard Ultra Series! www.backyardultra.com
What a perfect Backyard Ultra location setting - the beautiful Mill Creek Park on the Country Club Plaza. Start/finish by the J.C. Nichols Memorial Fountain.
The course will consist of 4 – 1 Mile laps on the Mill Creek Park Trail (4 laps = 1 loop). The trail is mondo like track surface making it easy to stay on course.
In the 1800s, water from a stream running through Westport gave power to one of the mills there. The stream then traveled southeast and emptied into Brush Creek. The area through which the stream traveled was called Mill Creek Valley, a portion of which is now called Mill Creek Park.
We will abide by all Backyard Ultra Rules exactly.
Before the start of each loop, the race director will go through the following protocol as such indicating time until the start.
--3 minutes before the start (whistle will be blown 3 times)
--2 minutes before the start (whistle will be blown 2 times)
--1 minute before the start (whistle will be blown 1 time)
--30 seconds will be announced before start
--10 seconds will be counted down before the start
--START (Cowbell will be rung)
You have ONE HOUR to finish a full loop once it has started. If you finish a loop within the hour, you have the opportunity to START the NEXT hour provided you are IN the start corral when the next hour starts. If you do not finish within the hour, you are OUT of the race and considered a DNF.
1) Once you are on the course, you are not allowed any aid from your crew, pacers or otherwise.
2) You are not allowed to return to the race HQ once the loop has started.
3) You must be ON and STAY on the course, unless you need to use the bathroom.
4) No artificial aids (including trekking poles) are allowed.
5) Slower runners must allow passes.
6) Once you are back to the start and assuming you've finished within the hour, you may use the bathroom, eat, drink, sleep, ponder the next loop, etc., but you MUST be back in the start corral, or you will be considered a DNF (NO EXCEPTIONS). This means you MAY NOT start late (even if you are in bathroom).
6) You may also choose not to continue though you will be considered a DNF. Make sure you inform the race crew your intention to drop.
7) If you are one that needs more time in between loops, then run faster so you have more time, but you might burn more energy. You may also choose to run slower which will give you less time back at the start/finish area, but you will burn less energy. You have to choose which strategy works best for YOU.
8) Runners are responsible for their own aid, but we will have water and coffee for RUNNERS ONLY!
9) Near the start/finish line, runners will have a small area where they may set up a chair for quick access between loops.
10) Runners are allowed ONLY TWO CREW if they like.
11) Restrooms are available near the start/finish area.
12) Runners will continue until ONE runner completes a FINAL loop. If there are two runners left and one does not complete the loop, then the one that completed the loop will be declared the winner of the Kansas City Backyard Ultra.
2023 RACE DAY REGISTRATION
5:00pm Friday, August 11, 2023. We will be accepting onsite/race day registrations for the Kansas City Backyard Ultra. CASH or VENMO ONLY. Swag is not guaranteed past registration deadlines. All online registrations made past the swag order deadline will receive an alternate swag.
3, 6, 9, 12 HOUR EVENTS
A no frills, just fun, timed running event! Come see how far you can run in 3 hours, 6 hours, 9 hours or 12 hours. What a great way to challenge yourself, use this as a supported long run for upcoming fall race, or just an excuse to run with friends. The course will have one primary, abundantly stocked aid station every mile lap. This race will coincide with the Last Runner Standing event so please be trail courteous.
12 hour, 9 hour, 6 hour and 3 hour will all start at 7AM on Saturday. However, if the 9 hour, 6 hour, or 3 hour would like to start later in the day, you are welcome to get in your distance anytime in the 12 hour window as long as you finish by 7PM.
All Last Runner Standing participants will receive a Kansas City Backyard Ultra folding chair!
All runners will receive a Midwest Endurance logoed buff and cinch-tie bag.
All runners will also receive a finisher car sticker with the distance they covered.
Awesome dry-fit tank with reflective logo add-on.
A special award will be given to the Last Runner Standing. There can only be ONE winner (assuming they finish their last lap)! All other runners are considered a "Did Not Finish" (DNF) and will not receive an award.
You’ve just DNF'd this epic race (unless you are the winner of course), just sit back, relax, enjoy basking in the miles you just ran, have a few beers (BYOB), and cheer on other runners!
The start finish area will be an awesome environment. There are limited pop-up sites available for you and your crew. You will need to email email@example.com to reserve a site
You will pass a full aid station every mile loop. There will be water, ice, an assortment of food, and Heed Electrolyte Drink. Check it out at https://hammernutrition.com/products/heed-sports-drink.
We will assign each individual finishing mileage in UltraSignup. A DNF will NOT go on your record, instead it will be the total miles accumulated. We want anyone and everyone to come out and see how many miles they can run on this challenging and beautiful course! Come set a PR! Come run a few laps and join in and cheer on who's left!
Our #1 goal for this race is to create an amazing race experience where people can come out and find a new personal best. And afterwards, hang out and cheer others on as they attempt to do the same. Whether you hope to get 4 miles or 100 miles we want you to come out and join the fun.
BACKYARD ULTRA CHAMPIONSHIP SILVER RACE QUALIFIER
Kansas City Backyard Ultra has been slotted as a bronze ticket race and our winner will receive a place in the Queeny Backyard Ultra, a silver ticket event, competing for a place on the national team for the World Backyard Championships at the Big Dogs Backyard Ultra in Bell Buckle, Tennessee. In the event that someone DOES earn a spot to the Backyard World Championships from our race – from an awesome at-large performance we will provide that individual with $500 in travel expenses for the Backyard World Championships! The money MUST be used for expenses related to the trip. We aren’t going to hand you $500 and then you not go. We will pay for flights, gas, hotels, etc. up to $500.
Event's current local time: 7:44 AM CT
No Refunds. No deferrals. No exceptions.
SO, welcome to the KANSAS CITY BACKYARD ULTRA!