2020 HEX HOLLOW RACES ARE A GO!!!
11/19/20--Gate opens: Double-loopers, 9:00AM; Single-loopers, 9:30AM; Please don't arrive early and thanks for being patient at check-in.
11/17/20--Traveler's to PA from out-of-state must have a negative Covid-19 test within 72 hours prior to entering PA. https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/disease/coronavirus/Pages/Travelers.aspx
11/16/20--If possible, please bring your on-course water in a Camelbak or hand held bottle. Water stops will have small bottles only--no jugs or cups. If you empty the bottle at the stop, discard it there. If you leave the station with it, carry it through to the finish. Please don't litter.
11/12/20--Bib Numbers Assigned
11/11/20--Sent Race Procedures to all registered runners [Please Read]
11/10/20--Posted Race Day Procedures [Please read completely.]
11/09/20--SET THE NEW START TIME FOR SINGLE LOOPERS (6.66m) AS 10:30 AM
11/06/20--Course turns marked (pink ribbon)
11/03/20--Entrants List Posted.
11/01/20--We are SOLD OUT--Thanks for supporting Olivia's House!
09/28/20--Updates posted here.
RACE DAY PROCEDURE--READ THOROUGHLY
Hello everyone and thanks for supporting Olivia’s House by running the fifth annual Hex Hollow Races! Over the past four years, you have helped us raise over $6100 in donations—YOU ROCK!
Larry and I have the goal of being as safe as humanly possible in the face of Covid. We’re all in this together. So, please read through everything below and make sure you are comfortable complying with the rules we’re setting forth. Ask questions now if you have them.
Here are the particulars for the Fifth Anniversary Running of the Hex Hollow Half Races. (Single loop runners, please note the change of race start time.)
1. If you are sick on race day—please stay home.
2. We must observe social distancing and wear masks at all times except while racing.
3. This race is for registered entrants only. For the safety of our volunteers, runners who bring spectators will be disqualified. No refunds.
4. Upon arrival to Spring Valley Park, you will receive your bib, safety pins, and race mask. We’ll remind you of your start time and send you to self-parking. Please wear a mask during this brief exchange.
a. RACE START FOR DOUBLE LOOPERS (13.13m) REMAINS 10:00AM--BIB PICK UP FROM 9:15 to 9:45 ONLY--REPORT TO START AT 9:55 AM.
b. RACE START FOR SINGLE LOOPERS (6.66m) CHANGED TO 10:30AM--BIB PICK UP FROM 9:45 to 10:15 ONLY--REPORT TO START AT 10:25 AM.
5. Single-loop runners (6.66m)—So we can focus on half-marathoners first, please arrive at the park a little later than you did last year.
6. Pre-race, please hang by your car to prep and wait for your start time. Report to the start line no sooner than five minutes early.
7. Port-a-potties are near parking.
8. You may warm up in the fields and dirt roads near the parking lot, but please avoid the start/finish area.
9. Race starts are at the top of the hill.
10. No congregating before or after the race.
11. Wear a mask on your way to the start line and on the start line until the gun.
12. At the start, you will line up in wide rows according to bib number. Bibs to be assigned by UltraSignup ranking.
13. When on the course, please carry a mask while racing (this is a change).
14. When you finish, please mask-up, head to the pavilion for your post-race goodie bag, and then proceed to your car.
15. Awards will be mailed.
Wear bib on front easily visible by finish crew.
For Covid safety, we are operating with a skeleton crew.
Water stops will be self-serve.
There will be one flagger at each road crossing--proceed with caution.
Thank our volunteers.
Be safe, run fast, have fun, and take care of each other…
With so many races being cancelled or being held virtually, Larry and I feel extremely lucky to be able to host this event. Couldn't we all use a fun diversion right now? And besides, isn't any day a great day to be in the woods?
So, do your part to ensure that the race goes off as planned by complying with the following Covid guidelines.
1. Registration is available online only from Sept. 29, 2020 through November 3, 2020. No mail-ins or race-day signups.
2. The 2020 races are capped at 100 runners total (single + double-loopers combined).
3. If you feel ill on race day--stay home.
4. Bib pick-up from 8:30 - 9:30 AM race day morning at the event. Please wear a mask to retrieve your bib.
5. We will supply a disposable mask with your bib. Masks are to be worn at the start and while in line at the toilets. You do not need to wear a mask while racing. You can discard your race mask in a trash bin at 100 yards into the race and at the 3 mile water stop or you may carry it with you. Please don't litter.
6. Observe social distancing of 6 feet or greater at all times.
7. Race area (bib pick-up, start/finish, & pavilion) is limited to runners--no spectators.
8. Although we can't have our usual post-race spread of food, all finishers will receive a sub, chips, cold water, a cookie, and anything else sponsors are kind enough to provide us.
9. No shirts this year, but everyone will get the stainless 2020 Hex Hollow, fifth anniversary pint cup.
10. All awards will be mailed.
11. There's probably stuff I forgot and things could change. So, please email me any questions and check back here for updates.
All Proceeds Benefit
Olivia's House Grief & Loss
830 South George St.
York, PA 17403
Additional donations can be made directly to Olivia's House at this link:
About the event
The course will start and finish in beautiful Spring Valley Park in southern York County, Pennsylvania. Half marathoners will run two loops covering 13.13 miles. Not ready for a half marathon trail race? Try the single-loop 6.66 mile option. All runners will pass through low meadows, mature hardwood forests, roller-coaster single track, and pine-covered wide tracks. Enjoy plenty of roots, rocks, two stream crossings, fast descents, and challenging climbs. There will be one water stop on the single loop option and three stops for the half-marathoners. Elevation gain is 1085 feet per loop.
Local time: 10:46 PM