KATY Trail 50/50
The KATY 50/50 is a 50 kilometer, 50 mile & (every other year) a 100 kilometer trail race local to STL, Washington and surrounding Missouri areas.
Local time: 5:41 AM
***We fully intend to hold the KATY 50/50 race as planned. The 100k will take a year off and hopefully resume in 2021.
***Unless the communities along the trail, the Katy Trail State Park, or the State of Missouri limit gatherings, we’ll proceed with the event. However, as Covid-19 cases increase in Missouri, so will our preventative measures, so expect a fluid set of safety precautions. The changes below are methods that we already plan to implement.
- Temp checks and a non-binding waiver to be signed at packet pickup.
- Masks required at the start line.
- Aid Stations will look different.
- Social distancing at aid stations. There will be signs to remind you of this.
- We will have only 2 volunteers at each stop. They will have gloves and masks for their protection.
- All food will be prepackaged.
- Volunteers will fill bladders and bottles from a pitcher. Volunteers will not handle your gear so you will have to prepare your drink container to be filled. You won’t be permitted to fill your own containers.
- Sanitizer stations will be obvious on both sides of each station.
- Our aid stations are renowned for bandaging, helping tie shoes and straighten packs, applying sunscreen/bugspray/lube(eww) and being very hands-on. The biggest issue with holding this race is that we plan to take a step back from that hands-on experience that we love to provide. Just know…well, we didn’t always enjoy the lube part.
- Crew access is only allowed at approved aid stations, however, crew must keep a minimum of 10’ from aid station. NO PACERS THIS YEAR.
- Drop bag locations will be limited and volunteers will only spread them out initially, they will not locate them for racers. More details later on drop bags—still fluid.
- No hanging out at finish. Grab your medal, bask in your accomplishment for 2 minutes and then get the heck outta here!
Look for more details on…: We are working with the Dutzow Deli to come up with a workable sack lunch and drink for our racers. We are considering course changes to limit passing. We are planning to move and chip time the finish in order to decrease volunteers at the finish line. I am sure there will be more, but for now—YOU ARE CAUGHT UP.
The DRC is excited to once again share our well-traveled stretch of rail-to-trail for the day. Gain your grit for the year or use this as time on dirty feet for your fall 100s. The KATY Trail is a phenomenal community landmark for local runners and we hope to continue bringing both notoriety, enjoyment and competition to this outdoor resource.
The Facebook page will host all information and results throughout the day: https://www.facebook.com/katy5050/
Course is rail-to-trail, packed fine gravel, with almost no elevation change. Expect scenic bridges, fields, forests, creeks, river, and sheer rock face views.
Cutoffs are generous (15 hours) in the 50k and 50 mile but the 100k will require a runner to stay on pace under a 15:30 average (16 hours) to complete. Each finisher will receive a high-quality medal, top 1st place finishers (Male and Female/race) will receive a special award, top 3 finishers (male and female/race) for each distance will receive an additional prize.
Course is wheeled and double gps'ed for accuracy. Bib transfers or distances changes allowed with permission from RDs, no refunds.
Check out more info on the KATY Trail Here: https://mostateparks.com/park/katy-trail-state-park