This Event Took Place Sat. Sep 21, 2019

Cancelled Event


Cancelled Event


COVID Update

August 5, 2020

Hello everyone,

I’d like to take a moment to update you all and be open about the status of Stagecoach. Committing to an ultramarathon or long mountain bike race is not stress-free—I know you have expensive and extensive travel, work, and personal plans to organize and finalize. You also have training to consider and equipment to prepare.

Thank you for your patience as we’ve been navigating the COVID crisis. As you know, the virus has caused the cancelation of thousands of events and required others to significantly modify the way things have historically been done. Stagecoach is not immune to the perils of COVID.

We have been working closely with the US Forest Service (USFS) to find a way to hold our event safely and within the bounds of Coconino County and Arizona state mandates. At this time, events of our size (with over 50 people, including participants, race management, volunteers, and spectators) and characteristics (long, arduous, remote wilderness-like terrain) are not permissible by the USFS because of current state rules prohibiting such large gatherings. In other words, if the race’s date were today, we’d not be holding the event. However, the state reevaluates COVID trends every two weeks and in doing so either tightens, maintains, or relaxes rules pertaining to group sizes and other COVID-related protocols. If state and county protocols are relaxed, the USFS will follow suit and allow events to proceed.

Because our event falls in mid-September, we still have a few weeks to await new mandates to be handed down. In doing so, we plan on making an official announcement (go or no-go) about Stagecoach during the week of August 17th. Waiting any longer will prohibit proper and safe event preparation. So, here are our two scenarios:

If Stagecoach is permitted and approved:

We’ll move forward! New and required event COVID protocols will be shared and explained. We’ll work through the Wait List, inviting each of you to complete final registration. Note: Wait List participants can, at any time, remove oneself from that list through UltraSignup.

If Stagecoach is canceled:

We will not be postponing our event to later in 2020. We’ll move forward with the new race dates of September 18-19, 2021. For those of you who have already entered and paid entry, we will reach out to you with options for registration reconciliation. The Wait List will be canceled.

Both state and county COVID cases have been declining in recent weeks. It is my hopes that this trend continues so we can hold Stagecoach this year. If you have any questions please reach out to me at

Ian Torrence
Race Director
Flagstaff to Grand Canyon Stagecoach Line Races

Race Information

Choose between the 100-mile run, 55K run, and 100-mile mountain bike ride. Relay options have been eliminated for 2020 for COVID-19 safety reasons. RUN or BIKE the Arizona Trail from Flagstaff, Arizona to the Grand Canyon. Follow the historic stagecoach line tourists took to reach the Grand Canyon in the 1890's. This event is a fundraiser for the Arizona Trail Association.  There is a 31-hour cut-off for 100-mile runners and 15-hours to complete the 100-mile bike ride.  The course varies from single track, two-track and forest roads. Expansive ponderosa pine forests, sparsely vegetated pinion-juniper grasslands, and golden leafed alpine aspen stands await. The course starts near 7,500 feet, reaches a maximum elevation of near 9,000 feet, finishes at 6,600 feet and has approximately 7,000 feet of climbing.

Local time: 3:55 AM


Linked Events

Ask a Question