The Angry Tortoise 25k/50k trail run is held in the beautiful flatwoods of Cary State Forest, located on the outskirts of Jacksonville. This race is a great introduction to both ultra and trail running as it offers well-supported aid stations*, a flat course on forest roads, and ample time to finish (8 hours!). We will also offer pre-race camping the night prior the race (FREE of charge) for a limited number of tent or car campers in the forest at the start/finish location. The race will also have cool race shirt and finisher awards. Awards will be given to first overall male and female, first male and female master’s (between 40-59 yrs of age), and first male and female Grandmaster’s (older than 60 yr) in both the 25k and 50k races. Cut-off times: There is a generous eight-hour cut-off for both the 25k and 50k, which means you can really spend time in the great outdoors and enjoy the scenery if you choose to do so. Proceeds from the race support the Florida Striders Kids' Running Programs! Don't wait to sign up - this race has sold out for 2 consecutive years!!!
Local time: 6:37 PM
Given that we do not know how COVID-19 will be impacting the world on race date. It is hard to outline every precaution that we will need to take to make this race safer. At this time, here are the precautions that we will plan on taking race day:
• Staggered start (This will be a timed event. Your results will be based on your chip time.)
• Participants will be asked to wear masks at the start and when in vicinities where others are present.
• Participants will be asked to abide by social distancing.
• At registration, your race packets will be set out and you can pick up without coming into contact with another individual.
• Aid stations*: We hope to have 2 aid stations. At this time, we are researching the safest way to provide aid to our runners and ensure safety of runners and our aid station volunteers.
Disclaimer regarding COVID-19 or other events that may interfere with hosting this event:
We do hope that all the stars will be aligned to permit this event to occur. However, given the current COVID situation, there is a likelihood that this race may be cancelled. In the event that this event is cancelled, we will NOT be offering the event as a virtual one. Instead, we will offer registered runners deferral of their entries to 2022 or refunds (minus the fee charged by Ultrasignup).