Last Buckeye Standing
Who will be the LAST BUCKEYE STANDING?
The Last Buckeye Standing is a unique event for runners of all abilities, but only the strongest among them will be the LAST RUNNER STANDING. The race will be begin at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday August 12 and each runner will have exactly one hour to complete the 4.167 mile loop. If a runner fails to return within the hour, they are eliminated from the race. Runners can complete the course at whatever pace they choose, but they MUST finish the race and be ready to start the next race within 60 minutes. A new 4.167 mile race will begin every hour on the hour (10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m. and so on…) until only one runner is left standing. If a runner fails to make it to the start line at the top of the hour, that runner is eliminated. What will YOUR strategy be? Will you run the loop hard and reserve time for rest, or take your time, conserve your energy on the trail and only take a few minutes to rest before the next race begins? This race may not favor the speedster, but the runner who is slow and steady. WHO will be the LAST BUCKEYE STANDING?
Join us in the "Buckeye State" of Ohio for the "Last Buckeye Standing Backyard Ultra'. Race will be held at Alum Creek State Park on the wooded and scenic Alum Creek Hiking Trail that runs along the Alum Creek Reservoir. The course will be a 4.167 mile loop through grass ski paths and single track trails with moderate elevation gains/losses (100-200ft per loop). Race will follow all standard Backyard Ultra rules and regulations. Course trail will be clear and in August trails are dry, runnable but be prepared for rain and mud in low-lying spots. The summer daylight hours are long but for the night loops we recommend headlamps for the hours 9:00 pm - 5:00 am. We will also place solar landscape lights on the trail that will provide some lighting of the trail and especially hazards but do not count on them to light your entire path - have that headlamp.
1. All runners MUST be in the starting corral at the bell.
2. Each loop starts precisely on the hour and 1 hour after the last. (Warnings will be given 5, 3, and 1 minute before the bell.)
3. All runners must start at the bell. (Absolutely NO late starts.)
4. Except for restrooms, competitors may not leave the course until the loop has been completed.
5. No non competitors on the course. (This includes eliminated runners)
6. No crewing or outside aid during a loop.
7. Each loop must be completed within an hour to be counted….including the final loop.
8. No artificial aids. (trekking poles, etc.)
9. Slower runners must allow passes.
10. Runners are responsible for their personal aid and nutrition needs.
11. Water, along with a limited supply of prepackaged food items will be available throughout the race at start/finish.
12. Winner is the last person to complete a loop.
13. All other runners are classified as a DNF. (There is no second place!)
14. If no runner can complete one more loop than anyone else, there is no winner.
There is ample parking at Galena Boat Ramp Parking Area off Africa Rd. Please park in single vehicle parking spots and as much as possible not in vehicle and trailer parking spots (used by boaters). There is a restroom in the parking lot for pre-event use. There will be portables on the course and at start/finish area.
Volunteers are needed. Volunteers who help with any of our races will receive a race t-shirt and a 25% discount code into one our other trail races.
Local time: 1:12 PM