JUNE 1, 2020 - EVENT UPDATE #2
June 1st has arrived and we are still facing many unknowns regarding events and gathering size restrictions. We have decided not to hold the Kodiak on the original event date of August 14-15, 2020. In our previous update, we said we were considering moving the 2020 Kodiak to September to have a better chance of being able to hold the event. As of today, June 1, we are not able to entirely commit to moving to September due to outstanding permits with different agencies that would be required to move forward with the event. However, we are working hard behind the scenes to get to an answer and we're also working on an alternate race format to offer you a unique 2020 Kodiak given the unusual times we're all experiencing.
We want to be as flexible as possible and offer everyone that is already registered a few options. In addition to the current options below, we'll be adding additional options as our plans come together.
1 - Wait for further information on the status of the event to make a decision about participating in the 2020 Kodiak.
(If you choose this option, the other options below will still be available to you at a later time.)
2 - Defer to 2021 or 2022.
Email us at email@example.com to process your deferral.
3 - Receive a refund of 85% of your entry fee (not including Ultrasignup fees).
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to process your refund. REFUNDS MUST BE REQUESTED BY JULY 1, 2020.
4 - Donate your 85% refund to the Bear Valley SAR team or Big Bear Trails.
Email us at email@example.com to process your donation.
We will be in touch again soon with further updates.
Important update due to COVID-19 - PLEASE READ
We have been closely monitoring the situation due to the COVID-19 pandemic and we want to do the best thing we can for our runners, volunteers, and our mountain community of Big Bear Lake. Please read this important update - it's a little long, but we want you to know everything we're planning and how it affects you.
Because of the continued uncertainty due to COVID-19, we are strongly considering postponing the 2020 Kodiak to September 11-12, 2020. Right now, we feel that pushing the race out by approximately one month would give us a much better chance of holding the event. Still, we don't know what the orders and guidelines may be in the future, but we do need to make some decisions that minimize risk for you as a participant and for us as a race organization.
We expect to receive updates on California state and local orders within the next week or so. We plan to decide on the postponement no later than June 1. We will keep everyone informed of any updates, modifications, or changes along the way. If uncertainty still exists 4-6 weeks before the event, we will likely need to make the difficult decision to cancel the event. We want to give everyone enough time to deal with travel plans, time off work, child care, alternate plans, final training, etc.
Please visit our website to read the FULL UPDATE HERE.
About Kodiak Ultra Marathons
The 8th annual Kodiak Ultra Marathons will take place August 14-15, 2020 in beautiful Big Bear Lake, California. Big Bear Lake sits at 7,000 ft in the San Bernardino Mountains of Southern California. The 100 mile distance will start and finish in the Big Bear Village and will circumnavigate the entire Big Bear Valley. The Kodiak also offers a 50M, 50K, Half Marathon, and 10K.
There will be six crew-accessible aid stations along the Kodiak 100 mile route, including the start/finish area in the Village. Pacers are permitted starting at Mile 55.8. No pacers in the 50M or 50K race.
We encourage all spectators to enjoy the start/finish area in the Village. We will have a beer garden, food and sponsor booths setup on Saturday. Bring your friends, family, kids...
CHECK OUT OUR RACE VIDEO TRAILER!
For complete event details, visit our website: www.kodiak100.com.
Registration for all distances opens January 1, 2020. Registration will close on August 7, 2020 or until the race limit is reached. There will be no same-day registration.
Shirt sizes guaranteed if you register by May 1!
$5 of each 100M registration will go directly to the Big Bear Valley Trails Foundation.
A waitlist will be opened once each race distance reaches capacity. If you are selected off the waitlist you will be informed via email and will have 24 hours to let us know if you wish to be registered. If we don't receive your response within 24 hours, the next entrant will be accepted and you will be removed from the waitlist. Please sign up early if you want to guarantee your spot. Thank you.
Registration roll-overs to next year will be permitted until May 1, 2020. No refunds or transfers. After May 1st, you may roll-over (for 1 year only) by volunteering at the 2020 race - contact us for details - there is a minimum hour requirement. Thank you!
Local time: 7:14 PM
UPDATE: We have extended the date to request a rollover to the 2021 race to at least May 31, 2020.
Should the event be cancelled due to an act of God, community disaster, severe weather event, emergency, or any other issue of public safety, no refunds will be guaranteed. A refund percentage will be calculated to enable the organizers to cover part of the expenses incurred which cannot be recovered.