THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED
While we have decided to cancel the 2020 Rockledge Rumble, we are evaluating a low cost virtual run in place of the 2020 event to provide continuity for the race. We expect to make a final decision soon and will provide details by September 30.
For more details on our decision regarding the 2020 event please read the COVID-19 UPDATE section below.
Thank you for your patience as we have monitored the spread of COVID-19. This is a frustrating time for all of us as we have seen numerous races canceled and it makes you wonder when we will get back to normal.
Three weeks ago, when we posted our last update, we started to see an upward trend in the number of COVID cases in North Texas. In a short time, this trend has grown aggressively resulting in Governor Abbott rolling back parts of the Texas reopening plan. There is too much uncertainty with how the virus is spreading to move forward with the remainder of our 2020 race season.
With deep regret, now is the time to make the call and cancel this year’s events. Our expenses have been minimal to date and allows me to provide a full refund to anyone registered for Six-O or Lake Murray.
There are several factors that went into this decision:
- Three of the four remaining races are in areas with much lower spread than the greater Dallas/Fort Worth area. I don’t feel it’s responsible to encourage large numbers of people to travel to these communities and potentially seed an outbreak there. I certainly don’t want that on my conscience.
- Many of our runners and volunteers are older and I don’t want to put them at risk. I also don’t want to be responsible for someone catching this at our event and passing it on to a loved one who is at higher risk.
- Much is still unknown about this virus. Many professional athletes and sports doctors are concerned about the long term health impacts.
- Even with waivers, liability protection from COVID is a grey area. This has been the subject of debate in Congress.
- Registration numbers will be lower due to fewer people registering or imposed capacity limits. Either situation makes it difficult to produce an event without losing money.
- This is a rapidly evolving situation and permits can be revoked up to the date of the event after many or all expenses have been incurred.
- Anyone registered for Lake Murray or Six-O will receive a full refund (minus transaction fees paid to UltraSignup). Please give us time to process the refunds. It might take a few weeks to get this sorted out in full.
- All race credits from the cancellation of the 2020 Grasslands Trail run will be valid for the 2021 or 2022 season. We don’t want anyone to feel forced to return to a large scale event before they are personally comfortable doing so.
- We are evaluating a low cost virtual run for the 2020 Rockledge Rumble to provide continuity for the race. We expect to make a final decision soon and will provide details by August 1.
- I monitor the COVID numbers daily and will continue to do so for the duration of the pandemic. If I see the numbers come down to a level where we would feel comfortable holding any of the events, we will revisit the decision for our later races.
I’m optimistic about the prospects of a vaccine being available next year that will help us get back to normal. There are a lot of very smart people in the biotech industry working on this. Over the next couple of months, we’ll confirm dates for the 2021 race season. We will be back!
In the meantime, I hope everyone stays safe and healthy. Please be careful out there. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone in 2021.
Race Day Information
Online registration is now closed. We will accept registrations at packet pick up on Friday and the morning of the race for the 50K and 30K only. The 15K race is sold out.
New this year: When entering Rockledge Park, park staff will collect $4 for each vehicle. There will be two lines for cash and credit card. We highly recommend having $4 in exact change to expedite this more quickly.
Thursday, November 7
Packet Pickup, Bear Creek Running Co., 4 – 6:45 p.m.
101 Town Center Lane #115, Keller Town Center, Keller TX 76248
Friday, November 8
Packet Pickup, R.E.I. Southlake, 4 – 7 pm
1011 E Southlake Blvd, Southlake, TX 76092
Saturday, November 9
Rockledge Park, Location, map and directions
6:00 - 7:30 am Packet Pickup Open
7:00 am 50K Start
7:30 am 30K Start
7:45 am 15K Start
Time Cut Off
All 50K/30K participants must be past the Murrell Park aid station no later than 2:30 p.m. This will be the third time that the 50K runners pass this aid station and the second time for the 30K runners. This cut off will be strictly enforced out of respect for all volunteers and the timing company.
All participants will receive a bib, race shirt, and post-race meal with their entry. All finishers will earn a finisher’s medal. Top Male and Female finishers in all three distances, as well as top Master’s finisher (40+), will earn prizes.
Aid Stations and Drop bags
This is a cup-less race. Please bring your own hydration device to carry and consume fluids on the course. Water and Tailwind will be available at all aid stations along with bananas, oranges, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, soda, Oreo cookies, potato chips, and a whole lot more. We like to have fun at the aid stations and mix it up just a little each year while keeping people’s favorites.
Supplies for 50K participants can be left in a drop bag at the aid station near the start/finish. Remember to pick up your drop bag after the race.
Directions to Race
I-635 West from Dallas and Highway 121 North from Ft. Worth or DFW Airport
Exit Bass Pro road from 635 or 121. Proceed to Bass Pro/Bethel Rd., turn left, and follow Bass Pro Rd over 121 and past Bass Pro Shops for 1/3 mile. Turn left onto Hwy 26, and immediately get into the right hand lane. After ~1/2 mile turn right on Fairway Drive and proceed over the dam. When you come up out of the sluiceway you will see Griff’s Hamburgers on your right and the entrance to Rockledge Park on your left. Turn left into the park, and for Jackson Pavilion/Rockledge Rumble, follow your friendly volunteer showing you the way.
Highway 121 South from Lewisville
Exit Grapevine Mills Blvd., stay straight to get onto 26W. Go through the light at Bass Pro, then proceed to Fairway Drive. Follow the directions above to get to Rockledge Park and Jackson Pavilion.
2499/International Parkway South from Flower Mound
If you are coming from the North on 2499 or as it is now called, International Parkway, you can turn right on a new street called Silveron Blvd. Follow it for about half a mile and then turn left around the circle onto Lakeside Pkwy. Look for the entrance to Rockledge Park on your right and follow directions above to Jackson Pavilion. (Silveron is about 2 miles south of FM 3040.)
Registration and Refund Policy
We understand that things come up. If you can no longer run the race, if you let us know more than one month in advance, you will receive 100% race credit for another Blaze Trails Running event. If you let us know between one month and two weeks prior to race day, you will receive 50% race credit towards another Blaze Trails Running event. We will not allow any refunds or transfers less than two weeks before race day. No exceptions.
Local time: 7:59 PM
Bib transfers to another runner are allowed up until the two weeks prior to the race only if the race has not sold out. If you are interested in transferring your bib to a friend, please contact us immediately. It is very important for the safety of all runners that we have the correct contact and medical information. If the shirt order has already been placed, your friend agrees to accept the shirt size that you ordered. A $15 administration fee (plus transaction fee) will be charged to the person who is accepting the bib transfer. We do not allow transfers if the event has sold out and have a waitlist. In that case, we will follow the posted refund policy and allow the next person on the wait list to register. We require transfers to be completed no later than two weeks prior to the race. This allows us to keep our focus on producing the event and other important race details during the race week. If you contact us in the last two weeks to ask for a transfer, we will not reply and the transfer is not allowed. No exceptions.
Refund and/or transfer requests must be made in writing by sending an email to email@example.com. Refunds are only processed as a credit to a future event.
I further understand that I am not entitled to a refund if the race director and/or race officials are forced to cancel the race due to any participant safety issue on the course that is out of the race organizer’s control. This may include, but is not limited to flooding, lightning or any other weather condition that makes the course unsafe for participants.