Update August 27th- 105Km will happen!
We will hold the 105Km race in 2020! It will be with a very limited capacity and other restrictions will be attached to this excellent challenge, but the race will go on.
This will occur on September 12th at 6am with a 24 hour time limit.
35Km will not go on in 2020. We look forward to being able to host this awesome event again in 2021!
Important Update: August 20th- 100 Mile CANCELLED
We gave it everything we had and tried a slew of different solutions to safely hold this 100 miler but with current restrictions in our National Forests, it's just not possible. This one hurts.
All entrant's and waitlist runners have been emailed with this notice as well as what comes next with withdrawal options- please check your inbox.
It is possible we will still hold the 105Km on Saturday and we are working on holding the 35K as well if they'll allow it. This answer will come by next week at some point for sure.
We appreciate everyone's patience with us bringing this one down to the wire in hopes of approval. We really wanted you to come experience The Monster and tried every angle we could think of. Thank you for your support everyone and we'll gear up for the 100 mile edition in 2021.
Important Update - August 6th
August 6th: Being totally transparent, our current status is we have no concrete answer. We are working with our permitting agencies to find a way to hold this event. They have not permitted any special events during COVID but we are hard at work to become the first. Admittedly, our primary focus is to safely hold the 100 mile, hence the reason the other two distances are not open for registration. Current orders for the state of Arizona say no groups of more than 50 people for a special event. This presents a problem for us in general, but even so we are hoping to find a way to pull it off in some capacity. That may mean that the 35Km or 105Km may be held on a separate weekend all together (likely the following weekend) in order to be permitted at all.
As for the 100 mile where we see about 160 of you registered-whether officially or through our waitlist- this also may mean that we are only permitted for the 45 or so to compete (the 50pp has to include staff/volunteers). Obviously, less than ideal.
We are confident that our industry can safely hold events given the outdoor nature, wave starts, and natural separation, but getting that information to the higher-ups for approval is the difficult part. We also understand that there is A LOT going on with this pandemic and all of it is without a textbook on the right next steps. Safety for the general public is paramount.
Just as we did for our Silverton and Tushars runs, you would be required to wear a face covering, subject to temperature checks to start, social distancing throughout and other items with the race would be more streamlined to avoid contact points at packet pickup, aid stations, etc.
We've submitted a few (more) options to our permitting agencies and are waiting for their guidance or approval.
We totally understand that training for a 100 miler is a mental and physical battle and having the uncertainty of you being able to run in the race adds to that. Believe me, if there's a way to have this race happen, we're going to do that. We've held three races in the COVID era now, just none in the actual state of Arizona.
So, my apologies for the uncertainty and not being able to fully commit at this time. As soon as I hear back from our permitting agencies, you all will be informed.
Thank you for your patience and continued support during all of this.
This event is NOT sold out.
Due to the uncertainty with COVID-19 we have made registration for this event a waitlist only because we feel it is irresponsible to continue to collect registration fees. We have no plans to cancel or reschedule this event and the event is not sold out as this page suggests. If the race goes on as planned, you will receive an email from Ultrasignup asking you to accept the invitation to register for this race. No money will be collected until you accept this registration. Please continue to check back for updates!
105K & 35K Races
Please review the above update for info on these two distances.
As we work through some details regarding these courses with our permitting agencies who are essentially "on pause" due to the COVID situation we are expecting to have an answer on registration for the 105K and 35K distances by early June. Thank you for your interest in these great races!
Hardrock 100 Qualifier
As the Hardrock Hundred was canceled in 2019, the current qualifying race for the next Hardrock will be the 2019 & 2020 Mogollon Monster 100 Mile. This finish will go towards the 2021 Hardrock lottery. See additional details here: Hardrock 100 Qualifying Races
The Monster is NOT a Western States 100 qualifier.
Anything else you may need to know is located on the Mogollon Monster website! Information on the website includes: course maps, race day schedule, pacer & crew information, and more.
Race entries are non-refundable and non-transferable. For other options, please check out our Race Withdrawal Policy.
The Mogollon Monster 100 is a rugged, challenging trail race taking place about 90 minutes northeast of Phoenix, Arizona just outside the small town of Pine, Arizona. This is an advanced degree endurance race of 100 miles with the addition of a 105 kilometer race and a 35 kilometer race! The races navigate up, down, around and through the beautiful Mogollon Rim (Pronounced: mug-ee-yun or muggy-own by locals, we'll call it MOG100 to keep it simple.)
The Rim rises out from the earth 2,000 some feet for a span of 200 miles across Arizona and into New Mexico, defining much of the eastern part of the state. This Rim takes the race from elevations of 5,500 feet at the start to upwards of 7,900 feet at the top of the Rim, changing ecosystems along the way in distinct flora changes as the elevation changes switch the scenery from high Sonoran Desert to the largest contiguous Ponderosa Pine forest in the world.
The 100 mile race climbs the Rim in four separate locations spending a lot of miles along the Rim, on top of the Rim and the challenging climbs up and down. Expect to climb a total of 22,000 feet along the way in the 100 mile race never below 5,000 feet and never above 8,000 feet in elevation. While other races are certainly at higher elevations, and/or with more climbing, they certainly do not contain as rugged a terrain that is found on this course. This is a VERY technical course in many areas, specifically the Highline Trail, Donahue and the soon to be revered, Myrtle Trail. Coupled with the mileage, the terrain, the moderate elevation, and the Arizona sun, this race will certainly take it's toll on each runner.
As the race takes place in late September temperatures should be in the low 70's to 80's below the Rim but can be drastically lower (read: below freezing) on top of the Rim at night. Thunderstorms from the summer monsoon season in Arizona are still possible and with that comes major wind, lightning and flash flood rains. Snow is a possibility, if unlikely in the higher elevations of the course. For the most part we can expect sunny skies, great temperatures and the start of some great fall foliage, especially on top of the Rim with all the ash, oak, maple along the trails.
Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc Qualifying Race!
UTMB, A Mythical Race
The 2020 Mogollon Monster 100 mile race will award 6 points towards the 2021 UTMB races.
The 105K distance will award 4 points towards the 2021 UTMB races.
Qualifying for The Monster: The 100 mile distance is not an easy race and as such, all entrants will be required to have completed, at minimum, a 50 mile race or greater before race day.
Local time: 8:16 PM