NEW FOR 2023
We are happy to announce the incorporation of the ICY-8 HALF MARATHON+.
Our route and format is designed to introduce runners to all aspects of trail running. Participants will complete the long loop (8.0 miles), the short loop (4.7 miles), and the mini loop (1.5 miles) on our figure 8 course. The HALF MARATHON+ will be held concurrently with our traditional ICY-8 Trail Run. Participants will complete the loops from largest to smallest and will have 6.0 hours to complete the distance. Runners and hikers are welcome!
The new ICY-8 HALF MARATHON+ will start at 07.30.
Athletic Equation continued with its ultra running paradigm shift in 2009 with the “ICY-8” 8-HR Adventure Trail Run (ATR). Why is it named the “ICY 8”? Well simply put, it’s February…the weather can be unpredictable and sometimes cold. Staying consistent with our other events, runner will be able to run as MUCH AS THEY WANT. Our events are about the runners meeting their own expectations, not an events' or other runners' expectations. It will take place on Saturday 04 FEB, 2023. Starting time will be 7:15 a.m. This event will be held at Lake Anna State Park. (http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/lak.shtml ) in Spotsylvania, VA. Lake Anna State Park is approximately 2,800 square acres and adjacent to Lake Anna, 13,000 acres large and 10 miles of Lake front real estate. Lake Anna has been part of the Virginia State Park System since its inception in 1936. Park Amenities throughout the year include camping, swimming, RV-ing, cabin rentals, boating, hiking, and horseback riding. It is conveniently located less than one hour driving from both Richmond, VA and Fredericksburg, VA and 25 minutes from Culpeper, VA.
COURSE & DESCRIPTION
This run seeks to bring both new and experienced trail runners together onto a common course that will challenge both their trail skills and physical abilities. The run course will be looped course. Approximately 90% of the course is trail. The remaining 10%, approximately 0.4 miles is a mix of trail and closed payment roads. Trail is single-track and double-track (NOT fire road). Over 70% of the trails are double-track, meaning that it is ALL TRAIL but generally about 6-ft wide. This trail WILL RUN FAST, but has to potential to catch up with you as the race progresses. The Start/Finish will be centralized in the parking area next to the Lake Anna Visitor Center. Runners will have the opportunity to select from three (3) course loops. Runners are able to run combine loops during the event to maximize mileage during the event.
4.7miles (350ft of elevation gain/loss)
8.0miles (640ft of elevation gain/loss)
1.5 mile loop (100 ft of elevation gain/loss) final loop only
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
ICY 8-HR ATR (DRAFT) 04 FEB 2023
Event's current local time: 3:12 PM ET
06.00 to 06.50 Runners Registration and Check-In
06.50 Final Race Comments
07.00 ICY 8-HR ATR Start
07.30 ICY-8 HALF MARATHON+
14.15 Start of Last Loop
13.30 FINISH OF ICY-8 HALF MARATHON+
14.30 Start of Lap Loop
15.00 Completion of ICY-8
1515 to 1700 Post Race Food
1530 Awards Ceremony
1600 to 1700 Clean-up