The Devils Race Track!
Come join us at The North Alabama Land Trust’s Wade Mountain Preserve!
Whether you’re looking to qualify for the championship at Big Dog’s Backyard Ultra or just looking to try something new, this is the race for you. We’ve created a course using the traditional format and a very comparable course for you to see just how far you can go.
If you ain’t first, you’re last! Here in the south we know racing and the Devils Racetrack is the real deal. Come run for fun or run for glory. Either way you’re guaranteed to be in first place until you’re done.
Our race is setup as Lazarus Lake intended it, with the first quarter mile or so on road to clear the field then a single track trail loop. Each hour at the top of the hour the horn will blow and the race will start a new. You must be the starting corral to start a loop or your out!
Once darkness arrives the race will move completely to the road loop until the sun comes back up.
Each loop is exactly 4.167 miles and must be completed within the hour if you wish to continue. (Runners must be in the starting corral when the horn sounds!). That’s a 14:24/mile pace or better. You can do it!
For the daylight hours (7am-7pm) the course will run the very runnable trails of the North Alabama Land Trust, Wade Mountain Preserve and take you to the infamous Devils Race Track loop! Details on Strava
- Start with short road out-n-back to clear out the field
- Head up Devils Race Track trail
- Right at intersection with Wade Mountain and Shovelton Trails (~1.5mi)
- Right to loop around Devils Race Track (counter clockwise)
- Straight onto Shovelton Trail upon return to 3way intersection
- Left on Rock Wall Trail (end of Shovelton)
- Right on Devils Race Track Trail (end of Rock Wall)
- Return to start/finish
From 7pm-7am the runners will run out-n-back on the soft base asphalt of Spragins Hollow Rd
- Course is 4 miles 880 feet in length
- Starting Corral will be measured to fit entire starting field and will remain the same size throughout the event. You MUST be in the starting corral at the starting horn/bell
- Each loop starts precisely 1 hour after the last. A warning whistle will sound at 3, 2, and 1 minutes prior to start of each loop. (All competitors must start at the horn/bell, no late starts)
- Except for restrooms, competitor may not leave the course until each loop is completed. No other people (non-competitors) are allowed on the course (including eliminated runners)
- No personal aid during a loop
- Each loop must be completed within an hour to be counted... including the final lap
- No artificial aids (e.g. trekking poles)
- Slower runners must allow passes
- The winner is the last individual to complete a loop. (If no runner can complete one more loop than anyone else, there is no winner.) All others are technically DNF, however results for all participants (distance covered) will to be given.
All runners will receive a very cool shirt and the coveted finisher cap. And...
Any runner reaching 24 hours/100 miles will get a buckle!
Race is at the Spragins Hollow Trailhead for the Land Trust of North Alabama, Wade Mountain Preserve
Coming from Huntsville
- Head North on Memorial Parkway
- Left on Hollow Rd (next left past Winchester Rd)
- Right on Spragins Hollow Rd
Location is at the trail head gravel lot approximately 1 mile from turn
Local time: 7:43 PM