THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED
(01/15/21) Reminder e-mail sent to all who have not responded.
(01/14/21) Still missing 83 responses out of the 224 entrants. Deadline is 11/18/21).
(01/13/21) Check here for when we announce the checks have been mailed and/or PayPal processing is complete.
(01/01/21) All entrants were sent an email via Ultrasignup informing them of the cancellation and instructions for deferment or refund options. Deadline to respond is Monday January 18, 2021
(01/11/21) ANNOUNCEMENT: The Covid-19 resurgence and the projected conditions over the next several months required reevaluation of conducting the race. Our conclusion is that the 2021 MMT100 must be cancelled.
The following might help to understand why the decision was made.
Forest Service permission is not guaranteed. The most recent communication indicated they would not give approval now and wanted to know the latest date they could approve… if at all. At this time, we also don’t know what limitations or conditions might be placed on us.
Some key personnel and a number of volunteers have indicated they are not interested in attending this year.
If we were able to receive approval and meet any conditions placed on us and were able to secure enough volunteers here are some of the changes (in no particular order) needed in order to conduct a safe and healthy race:
- No crew, family or friends would be allowed.
- With no crew then the number of drop bags would increase dramatically. We currently struggle with the existing volume.
- Handling of drop bags would be extremely problematic throughout the weekend.
- With no crew then how do runners who drop get back to the start line?
- How do we handle runners needing medical attention and would they want to go to a local hospital?
- It rains 50% of the time and that impacts social distancing at aid stations.
- Cancelation of the pre-race briefing and Friday dinner.
- Cancelation of post-race meals.
- Cancelation of the award’s ceremony.
- After crossing the Finish line runners could rest at a social distance but would be required to exit within 20 minutes and not return.
- Limiting cabins and sukkah’s space impacts 40% of those who normally use those options.
- Entirely possible to change the course to one 30+ mile loop and repeat it 3 times.
None of these options are appealing and combined they suck the life out of the race. One of our main principles behind the MMT100 is to conduct a quality race that promotes a special and unique experience for all involved. If we were to conduct the race with the fore mentioned changes it would not be the Massanutten Mountain Trails 100 and why would we want to do that?
We hope to see you in 2022!
Jun 01, 2020 (9:00 A.M.) - ENTRY OPENS ** NO LOTTERY**
Mar 01, 2022 (9:00 P.M.) - LAST DAY FOR ENTRY FEE REFUND MINUS $25 Apr 08, 2022 (9:00 P.M.) - LAST DAY FOR ENTRY FEE REFUND MINUS $100 or ANY REFUND HENCEFORTH.
April 08, 2022 (9:00 P.M.) - LAST DAY FOR ENTRY (Covid concerns closed both Entry and Waitlist prematurely)
The MMT is a challenging 100 mile trail ultra over a demanding, rocky course in the Massanutten Mountains of Virginia's Shenandoah Valley. The course includes short but rugged mountain climbs that total over 18,000 feet. While the May date usually avoids Virginia's brutal summer weather, we have had rain and violent storms in prior years. The event is noted for its well-stocked, friendly aid stations and good course marking. Click Here for Photo's
Local time: 1:18 PM