THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED
Results & Photos
Results with detail available here:
On Course Race Photos by Robert Rhodes. Please feel free to upload yours to share and other runners to see.
Please do your best to credit the photographer when posting to social media.
#pctr #gorunatrail #thegroves #ultrarunning #trailrunning #thegroves50K #thegroves30K #thegroves16K
The Groves Course Map: Click here
Welcome to the inaugural "THE GROVES". Pacific Coast Trail Runs is proud to present this brand new event in the Pescadero Creek Park Complex in San Mateo County. The course will go through three parks including Pescadero Creek, Sam McDonald Park, and Memorial Park. This area is northwest of Big Basin Redwoods State Park and southwest of Woodside and Skyline Blvd. Summertime running under the canopy in some of the largest redwood groves in the world... this is THE GROVES. Multiple distances will be offered up to a 50K and "Hikers Welcome!". Registration opens January 1st.
- Saturday, August 8, 2020
Distances (RunGo) & Elevation Gains (Strava)
- 50K: 5,662 ft
- 30K: 3,619 ft
- 16K: 1,845 ft
- All Elevation Gains are from Strava Data
50K Cut-Off is 4 hrs 30 min (or 12:30 PM) for Green Loop (16 Miles or about 17 min/mile pace).
50K Time Limit is 9 hours or (17:10 min/mile pace)
30K Time Limit is 8 Hours (25:50 min/mile pace)
- 50K: $85, $97, $109
- 30K: $75, $87, $99
- 16K: $65, $77, $89
Add $15 on Race Day if not sold out.
- 50K: 8:00 AM
- 30K: 9:00 AM
- 16K: 9:30 AM
ABSOLUTELY NO EARLY STARTS.
*Start times subject to change for any reason.
Time Limits and Cutoffs
- 50K Time Limit is 9 Hours
- 30K is 8 Hours
-16K Time Limit is 6 Hours
- 50K Cut-Off is 12 noon. You must complete the Green Loop by 12:30 PM.
- High performance Tech or Cotton Blend Shirt
- Bib with race number and meal ticket
- Free on course race photos
- Professionally chip timed results
- Handmade wood finisher medal
- Age group award if qualified
- Ultramarathon finisher coaster if qualified
- Scenic course with high quality volunteers and Team PCTR Support
- Aid station nutrition & hydration
- Chef Yaku post-race meal & beverage (Craft brew too)
We take great pride in knowing that when you finish a PCTR trail run, it is of the highest importance that you have a meal and tasty beverage to reward your finish. All entrants receive a "post-race meal ticket" to get the nutrients your body needs right after you finish. You will have the option during registration to purchase additional meal tickets. Our post-race BBQ chefs are in tune with incredible creations to meet all palates and will always provide a vegetarian option. We have served amazing tacos, incredible fajitas, delicious sliders, killer cowboy/cowgirl BBQ treats, and more. In the cold months, and night races, you will always be able to enjoy our super tasty soup creations. So bring a chair, a friend, and relax a bit with us.
Cup-Free Racing Policy
Effective January 2018, Pacific Coast Trail Runs is following the lead of other trail races by taking steps to "green" our events. We recommend that all participants carry hydration devices on them during the race. We will sell HydraPouch portable cup with Universal carry clip – hooks easily to shorts, tights, number belts, hydration belts, etc. These are available at checkout for $10. You will receive it when you check-in for the event. We will also have a few for purchase for $10 the day of the event.
Event Location Details
Memorial County Park
9500 Pescadero Creek Road
Loma Mar, CA 94021
Please use your favorite app with the above mentioned address. From San Francisco: Take I-280 S. Take exit 24 (Sand Hill Road West). Continue and take CA-84 W to Pescadero Creek Rd. Park on Left. From San Jose: Follow I-280 N. Take exit 24 (Sand Hill Road West). Continue and take CA-84 W to Pescadero Creek Rd. Park on Left.
$6 Parking fee at Park entrance. Please follow sings and volunteer parking attendants to your spot.
Pre-Race Runner Bib, Swag Pick-up
There is no pre-race day check-in. All runners will check-in race day.
Race Day Runner Check-In & Race Briefing
Your specific distance check-in opens one hour before your event start time. You must be prepared to show ID to pick up your own bib and swag. You may not pick up for any other runners.
15 minutes before your event at the Start Line. It's very important for the safety of you and others to be present and alert for the Race Director Pre-Race Briefing. Here you will learn about how to have fun, be safe, and not get lost.
Stunning! More details to follow.
Course Map, Markings, and Aid Stations
Click on this link for the new 50K Course (Two Different Loops) for Loop 1 (16.1 Butano Portola Pescadero Loop):
Click on this link for the new 50K Course (Two Different Loops) for Loop 2 (16.1 Sam McDonald Pescadero Loop):
Click on this link for the new 30K Course:
Click on this link for the new 16K Course:
Full Aid Station consists of WATER, FLUID Electrolyte Drink, Coke, Ginger Ale, Peanut Butter & Jelly, variety of fruit, and GU Electrolyte Capsules. Snack Pack assortments including lays potato chips, fruit chews, trail mix, Rice Krispy Treats, and Cookies,
Crew & Pacer Information
- Crews are allowed and welcomed on the course. Crews can access all but one aid station by car (Portola Redwoods), and must obey parking and daily use fee rules when crewing. Please see map for locations (being developed).
- Sam McDonald A/S is at Park Entrance can be accessed from Pescadero Rd.
- Camp Pomponio Road A/S can be accessed from Alpine Road
- Portola Redwoods A/S can be access by foot after parking in Portola Redwoods State Park. Park entrance fee here.
Pacers are not allowed.
Drop & Finish line Bags
- Drop Bags: Allowed at Start/Finish line area only.
- Finish line Bags: There will be a designated area at the Start/Finish line Area to place your bag. Please note this area will be near people and protected from the rain, but will not be secure or protected and PCTR will not be responsible for any lost or misplaced items.
- Start/Finish Line: Bathrooms and Port-a-potties
- Sam McDonald Aid Station: Park Restroom
- Park Policy: No dogs allowed in Parks.
- PCTR & Park Policy: No dogs allowed anywhere on on course or in your car.
Hikers are welcome! We kindly ask all hikers are trained and select a distance that reflects their ability to complete the course within the cut-offs and/or time limits.
Headphones & Trekking Poles
Headphone Policy: You can wear headphones, However, when you are on a single-track trail (room for one runner), you are not allowed to wear headphones in both ears. You must have one ear (preferably your left) exposed to hear incoming runners, horses, or bikes. Hiking poles and sticks of any kind are not allowed.
Blind Athletes & Sighted Guides
Since 2018, PCTR has embraced visually impaired and blind athletes. We add a question to registration so that we can fully prepare for your race and sighted guide with proper race bibs. If you need a "Guide Runner", please email us at RunPCTR@gmail.com.
- All finishers will receive a handmade wooden medal by Elevation Culture.
- Age group awards to be presented to the top 3 male and females in each of the following categories:
- 12 and under
- 13 to 16
- 17 to 19
- 20 to 29
- 30 to 39
- 40 to 49
- 50 to 59
- 60 to 69
- 70 +
Withdrawing from Event or Changing Distance
If you would like to change distance, please do so by emailing us at RunPCTR@gmail.com at least 72 hours before the event. We assign event distance specific bibs with timing transponder at this time and it makes the event less complicated for you, volunteers, and Team PCTR.
Shall you want to change distances on race day, then you must notify us prior to the event starting. All entrants who change distance during the event will earn a finisher medal. However, you will not be eligible for "Overall Standings & Age Group" awards. For example, if you entered the Headlands 100 mile event and stopped after two 25 mile loops, then you will be given your finisher medal and credited with an "Unofficial Finish". Similarly, if you enter the Headlands 50 Mile race and decide after two loops that I want to continue on and finish 100 miles, then you will earn a finisher medal or in this case a belt buckle. But, it will be termed an "Unofficial Finish" in your ultrasignup.com rankings. The reason this is done is to prevent other runners from being pushed out of a podium finish, overall standings position, or age group award because someone decided that they wanted to run a different distance during the race. This is the ultrasignup.com terminology commonly used in running and racing events.
WITHDRAWING: No Refunds, Transfers, or Rollovers
Entry fees associated with Pacific Coast Trail Runs Events are non-refundable, non-transferable, and we do not provide rollovers to future events. The amount of time and expense that goes into a PCTR event is high. Contracts, permit fees, awards, shirts, insurance, food/beverage and all things associated with your event happen a long time before your race day. Surely, if many of you wanted a refund because you got injured, become sick, have to attend a family function or your babysitter fell through, then all trail running companies would be out of business. We also do not transfer entries for numerous reasons including liability. You are not allowed to sell or give your bib to someone else. If we find out about this, we will ban you from our events. We do, and will provide race credits for a future PCTR event (less Ultrasignup.com registration fees) shall something come up that prevents you from attending the event you paid for. Please see our Race Credit Policy.
Race Credit Policies
PCTR has a very friendly race credit policy. With some of our races requiring signing up well in advance, we understand that life happens and you may be prevented from attending the event. Here are the days of notice we require you to provide us shall you want to withdraw and earn PCTR race credits for a future event.
- 45 plus days from the event date = 100% PCTR Race Credits
- 15 to 44 days from the event date = 50% PCTR Race Credits
- 14 days to 72 hours from the event start time = 25% PCTR Race Credits
Consider Volunteering to earn race credits. By volunteering, you can earn up to 100% of your entry and more depending on how many hours you volunteer.
Race credits are required to be used within one year from the time you earned them. This means you need to have signed up for an event by the one year date, not necessarily have completed the event. You also, also cannot extend the credits shall you sign up for a race and need to withdraw again. Race credits are not transferable to anyone but yourself.
Race Fees associated with Ultrasignup, our registration provider, at the time of your registration are not included in your Race Credits.
Race Cancellation Policy
Runners, their families, crews, volunteers and Team PCTR safety is our first priority. Pacific Coast Trail Runs events will run come rain or shine, with the exception of park closures, threatening or extreme weather conditions. When conditions present a danger to our runners, their families and our volunteers. PCTR maintains the right to cancel or postpone the start of each of the events. Parks may also shut down the event if the trail or weather conditions are so bad that first responders will also be challenged.
If any event is cancelled less than 24 hours prior to the official start time, all participants will be notified via email that you provided in your registration, and the information will be posted on our Facebook page.
PCTR reserves the right to move the event to another venue, change the course & start time, cancel, and/or reschedule the event. PCTR will always try to reschedule before cancelling an event. Shall the event be cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances beyond our control, and not rescheduled, then we will offer race credits to a future PCTR event to be used in one year.
Threatening weather conditions at PCTR events may be cancelled or delayed if any of the following weather conditions exist: Fire Danger, Poor Air Quality (Air Quality Index (AQI) >150 = Unhealthy), Flash Flood Watch, Extreme Thunderstorms, Tsunami Warnings, and lightning in the vicinity of the race.
The Race Director, in accordance with the Land Managers, City, County, the State of California, and the National Park Service, has the authority to cancel the event. If threatening weather conditions force cancellation of the events, no refunds will be provided, since funds were already spent in preparation for race day. However, if the race is cancelled outright and not rescheduled than 100% of race credit value (less ultrasingup.com registration fees) will be provided to use at a future event in one year from the time earned.
Notification of cancellation will be done as early as possible. You will be notified via the email address you used when registering for this event. We will also post updates on our Facebook page regularly: https://www.facebook.com/pacificcoasttrailruns/
- Earn $10 in PCTR Race Credits for every hour worked. (For example: 4 hrs = $40; 3.5 hrs = $35, etc.)
- Volunteer 8+ hour shift and earn $40 bonus credits for event.
- Earn 2X Credits for bad weather volunteering in rain.
- Earn 2X Credits from 8pm to 6am. (Headlands & Night Sweats Only)
- Receive the coveted PCTR "Go Run a Trail!" shirt. *Must volunteer a minimum of 5 hours to get the shirt. If you already have too many of these shirts and want a race shirt instead, then come by the finish line tent to see if we have any more in your size.
- Enjoy a meal from our Post Race BBQ Chef Team.
- You will not earn credits for volunteering unless you sign up to volunteer.
- If you sign up to volunteer and bring one or more friends with you to volunteer (who have not signed up), then they will not earn credits.
- If you are entered in an event and bring a friend or family to help volunteer a few hours or more, then you can earn their credits for another race... that is if they don't run. ??
- All credits must be used in one year from the time earned or they will expire.
If you are unable to participate in the event you paid for and miss the 45-day or 15-day withdraw notification window because you are unable to run due to whatever reason, then consider volunteering to earn race credits. By volunteering at the intended event or another event within 30 days before your event, you can earn up to 100% of your entry and more depending on how many hours you volunteer. Email PCTR at RunPCTR@gmail.com.
Click here to volunteer: https://www.pacificcoasttrailruns.com/volunteer
Rules & Trail Etiquette
1. Trail running is a very special sport that shares trails with the public including hikers, bikers, horses, and even dogs. Please be kind to all. Because we have a permit and you paid for the event, does not give you more right of way than others. Please be courteous of others and share the trails as you would a store aisle at your neighborhood store.
2. Absolutely no littering. "Leave No Trace."
3. When passing a runner announce yourself politely by saying ""May I please pass? or "On your left please."
4. All runners must wear bib on front of person. (Not on your back, pack, hat, butt, or calves).
5. Downhill Runners have the right of way. Uphill runners and hikers, please keep your head up
6. If you quit before or during the event, then you must turn in your bib and/or notify a race official at the start line or aid station when applicable.
7. Volunteers give up their time to make your day special, so please thank them many times over.
Clean Sport Pledge
We pledge to support clean sport by inviting to athletes to compete at our events who are committed to training, racing and living clean and not inviting athletes to compete who have tested positive for performance enhancing drugs. We are in favor of random drug testing, especially when there is prize money offered at the event. Our organization also chooses to not work with coaches and agents that have athletes that are currently working with athletes that have tested positive for performance enhancing drugs. We understand we have a responsibility to protect a level playing field and we will be role models in the community as ambassadors and advocates for clean sport. We pledge to honor clean sport by inviting and supporting clean athletes at our races.
Pacific Coast Trail Runs Upcoming Events
Local time: 9:17 AM