2024 Date is Sunday November 3rd. Registration will open at Noon on February 2nd, 2024.
Some Race Information:
Event's current local time: 6:18 PM ET
Potomac Highlands Distance Club
Fire on the Mountain 50K&25K
* 50K – Distance of the race is about 31.95 miles. Seven aid stations on this out-and-back course (three are hit twice, plus the “oasis” at the midway point. Runners must complete the course as assigned in 10 hours and 0 seconds or less to be considered an official finisher.
25K – Distance is about 16.3 miles. Three aid stations (one is hit twice). Cutoff time is 4 hours and 45 minutes. The course includes approximately 6.5 miles of trail (sometimes technical), with ups and downs, roots, rocks and sometimes “billy goat” trails (thin track and slightly cantered towards the creek a couple hundred feet below), plus 9.6 miles of a mix of forest service road an improved road.
* No refunds, no deferments (certain military exceptions apply), no transfers.
* All finishers under the official cutoff time for each event (10 hours 0 seconds for 50K, and 4.5 hours for 25K) will receive a finisher’s premium. Take pride - you earned it. It is unlikely a runner will negative-split this course, especially if it takes that runner 5 hours to reach the 50K midway point or more than 2.5 hours to reach Aid Station 2 for the 25K.
* We need volunteers for this event to fuel runners at 4 aid stations (7 total, but 3 are hit twice). If interested in helping – or having your school/civic club group help – please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
* Race begins at 7 a.m. on Sunday, November 3, 2024. Please note: Daylight Savings Time ends at 2 a.m. on Sunday, November 3. This means you should set your clocks back 1 hour before going to bed on Saturday, November 2nd. Failure to do so will have you arriving very, very early to the race site.
* As in the case with the first 13 years of the race, there will be a series of semi-organized (and self-supported) training runs to familiarize runners with different portions of the race course. The series of scheduled training runs will be staged in September and October.